cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking an O2 phone to use a different SIM card.

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi   im abit confused about what to to and could do with some help. (i tried asking before but have had to set up an account to post so i dont know if it worked so sorry if this is a repeat..) 

my sister has given me her old samsung galaxy s3 as she has upgraded her contract phone (a couple times since using this one) i use a Tesco pay as you go sim and have just swapped my number over to a micro sim so it fits. but my problem is that the phone still says no sim card even when its in there. i assume this is because its locked to O2. Can i unlock the phone if its not recognising a sim or do i have to get an O2 sim to be able unlock it.. and if i use someone elses will it effect thier phone/contract? 

it might jus be me not understanding things but hope you can help or just explain it abit for me slight_smile thanks

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149394 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
A tesco sim will work in an O2 locked phone so the sim is either faulty or has been inserted into the wrong slot (both sim and sd slot are side by side on S3).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 149394 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
A tesco sim will work in an O2 locked phone so the sim is either faulty or has been inserted into the wrong slot (both sim and sd slot are side by side on S3).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

ok thanks slight_smile  

im more confused now not sure what to do. at least dont have to worry about trying to get it unlocked.

i checked and the sim works in my old phone but when in the samung still says no sim inserted. its in the correct slot and clicked down but just doesnt seem to acknowledge it 😞

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 149394 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
Maybe sim reader is faulty in the phone?
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

if its is whats wrong.. any ideas how to fix it/ anything i can do? 

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 149394 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
They are about £10-£15 to buy and easy to replace, if it is the sim reader, but it might be a good idea to try your local phone repair shop or market stall to get it checked properly.
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

ok thakyou for helping slight_smile

ill try go to shop and see what they can do 

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 149394 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
Let us know how it goes slight_smile
Message 8 of 8