Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking Samsung S8+

Maureen01
Level 1: Joiner
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I done an early Upgrade yesterday to get the Samsung S8+. Was told by O2 it can be unlocked to any network, I requested it through my O2 App...just been told today by another O2 Agent, unless I pay off the device it cant be unlocked...Im confused as to whether it can or cant be unlocked now. If not I will just take it back to the Store and put things back to the way they were before the Early Upgrade...Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27662 Solutions
You will be able to unlock but O2 occasionally impose restrictions on new devices for a few months, unless to pay the device off immediately.
Help here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-S...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27662 Solutions
You will be able to unlock but O2 occasionally impose restrictions on new devices for a few months, unless to pay the device off immediately.
Help here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-S...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 20

Maureen01
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank You for that slight_smile I think I will just bring it back again and leave things as they were. Cant wait a few months lol. Thank You for your help slight_smile 

Message 3 of 20

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27662 Solutions
Current restrictions are mentioned here so keep an eye on the page for updates https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-netwo...

Currently using:
Message 4 of 20

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27662 Solutions
Best of luck, you can always upgrade again later slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 5 of 20

Maureen01
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for your help MI5....do you know if I will get the early settlement that I paid back when I return the handset as I am not upgrading any more?

Message 6 of 20

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27662 Solutions
I don't believe so no, but it will mean that you have no more device payments to make on that contract, so you won't be out of pocket in any way.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 20

Maureen01
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I wasnt paying a Device Payment on the Contract....just the airtime

Message 8 of 20

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27662 Solutions
OK, so you just paid off a sim only contract?

Currently using:
Message 9 of 20

Maureen01
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes, it was just the Airtime Balance....There was no device as it was settled slight_smile 

Message 10 of 20