Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Unlimited data Bolt on.. >200megs?

Modem usage is allowed, it's just subject to certain restrictions - no P2P/file sharing (though hopefully they would allow valid P2P synchronisation platforms like Foldershare/Live Mesh etc), no streaming audio/video - basically nothing which could put a strain on the system. Doesn't really matter where your data originates from (phone or computer), it's the level of usage that matters.

People do sometimes use their phone as a modem, generally to check a few emails and things, but the amount of data that a laptop/pc would use to do this compared to a mobile phone is through the roof and thats the reason its excluded from the usage and in the T's and C's.
Anonymous

Modem usage is allowed, it's just subject to certain restrictions - no P2P/file sharing (though hopefully they would allow valid P2P synchronisation platforms like Foldershare/Live Mesh etc), no streaming audio/video - basically nothing which could put a strain on the system. Doesn't really matter where your data originates from (phone or computer), it's the level of usage that matters.

People do sometimes use their phone as a modem, generally to check a few emails and things, but the amount of data that a laptop/pc would use to do this compared to a mobile phone is through the roof and thats the reason its excluded from the usage and in the T's and C's.

Perhaps you could point out these T&Cs, and explain differing answers available from customer services
Anonymous

but the amount of data that a laptop/pc would use to do this compared to a mobile phone is through the roof

Based on what ?

If I download 20 eMails + attachments on my iPhone, and the same on my laptop ... I use the same amount of data Smiley Wink

People may have the tendency to do other things if they're using a laptop (e.g. download mail whilst browsing in the background, but that's down to the user - not the device)
Anonymous

but the amount of data that a laptop/pc would use to do this compared to a mobile phone is through the roof

Based on what ?
If I download 20 eMails + attachments on my iPhone, and the same on my laptop ... I use the same amount of data Smiley Wink
People may have the tendency to do other things if they're using a laptop (e.g. download mail whilst browsing in the background, but that's down to the user - not the device)

True, the iphone is the same really, i was just thinking about other devices that are capable of being used as a modem but only provide a mobile internet on the handset.

EG, to go on BBC news on a mobile brings up the mobile page, load it up on your laptop and you get a hell of a lot more information/data.
Anonymous

True, the iphone is the same really, i was just thinking about other devices that are capable of being used as a modem but only provide a mobile internet on the handset.
EG, to go on BBC news on a mobile brings up the mobile page, load it up on your laptop and you get a hell of a lot more information/data.

Some websites don't have alternate mobile versions, and not all mobile browsers will default automatically anyway, so I don't understand the comment about modem versus mobile use.

It's starting to sound rather more like conjecture than based on any quoted company policy
Anonymous

I would like to point out a technicality in O2's T&Cs which can be taken as permissive of using one's phone as a modem:

You may not use your SIM Card:
in, or connected to, any other device including modems

If one uses their phone as a 'bridge' or pass-through to connect their laptop to the internet, then this term is not broken, as the SIM card is not used in or connected to any other device, but remains inside the phone.

Semantically, this term as it is currently phrased means to me that one can't take out their SIM card and put it inside a modem (perhaps a 3G USB dongle).

So, again in my understanding, O2 doesn't specifically prohibit use of a phone as a network bridge (or modem if you want to use this term). I agree of course that they prohibit streaming and anything that would strain the network too much.