cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited WiFi with BT as part of my contract.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just noticed on my contract that it includes free unlimited WiFi as part of my phone contract.

I already use BT Broadband at home, but this sounds attractive as my home account is not unlimited.

I have BT's WiFi app installed. Will I need a special log-in?
Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
If the hotspot is on the map (link I sent above) you just log in with your phone number and you will get a text confirmation code sent back to you. BUT, they are all called BTOpenzone, so check the map to make sure it's an O2 one - It's all very confusing and I'm not surprised people get confused.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Usually I log in with my phone number as username and the password, but as you are a BT customer you may have to log in with your BT account details. (this will be to BT wifi hotspots). For O2 wifi hotspots see this link for details, registration and locations http://www.o2wifi.co.uk/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear here slight_smile

My contract is:
Unlimited calls and texts
1GB of UK data and unlimited wifi through BT wifi a month.

I already use BT wifi hotspots through my home account, but that comes out of my home allowance. Whereas I can change thw settings ro use the 02 account. Just not sure how to log in.
Message 3 of 13

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
If the hotspot is on the map (link I sent above) you just log in with your phone number and you will get a text confirmation code sent back to you. BUT, they are all called BTOpenzone, so check the map to make sure it's an O2 one - It's all very confusing and I'm not surprised people get confused.....

Currently using:
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not as the contract says then. Mind you, this wasn't a factor when taking the contract. Will stick to just using BT Openzone from my home contract.
Message 5 of 13

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
It's just not very well explained but it is all completely free......

Currently using:
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Would be simpler if o2 would phrase the contract as o2-BT wifi, rather than just BT wifi slight_smile
Message 7 of 13

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
It would be easier if they called the O2 hotspots something different so we knew which ones they were we could use wink

Currently using:
Message 8 of 13

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You get free wi-fi from O2 which is for anyone to use - O2 Wi-Fi.

You can also get BT Wi-fi hotspots to use as a part of your contract - BT Wi-Fi (was BT Openzone).

The two types are listed here:

http://consumero2.directoryconnection.com/search.php

That is how I've always believed it works.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 9 of 13

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Like I said - Confusing !! I never know if I can connect to it unless I try, and as all BT-Wifi hotspots are called the same regardless of being public or private you've got no chance....

Currently using:
Message 10 of 13