cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Data Simplicity tariff - changed frm blackberry and being charged 136 quid!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had the same o2 SIMplicity contract since 2010 with unlimited data and a Blackberry bolt on for roughly 20quid a month. Last week I bought a nexus 4 and was trying to figure out which contract to move to so on Friday after 2pm I swopped the sim from my blackberry to my nexus. The nexus was having issues with very poor reception so the only time i ended up using any data was in the house on wifi. On monday at 5:42pm I received a txt msg from o2 saying "Hello. You've spent 136.64 over your line rental this month. We have emailed you...etc" So I called o2 and they say I am liable for the charges as I swopped the sim to a non blackberry phone. I understand what they mean but it really does not make sense to me, under my data allowance section in myo2 webpage it says unlimited data and it says I used 118mb of data. There is a link saying "what kind of data is allowed" and it doesnt say anything about it being blackberry only. I appreciate this may be the case when I took the contract out almost 3 years ago but surely this cannot be fair. I had called o2 3 days priot asking about my tariff and spoke to the team that trying to keep you from leaving o2 and told them how I had bought a new phone etc and they did not mention anything about this. Also I think it is crazy that they do not have an alert sooner than 136.64 mark? Also the blackberry bolt on cost me an extra few quid a month when I took out the contract so surely data on a blackberry is more expensive anyways(if that makes sense) so having an unlimited data plan and going to a non blackberry phone should be cheaper data anyways? Obviously I am extremely dissapointed in o2 and they are investigating. Does anyone know anything from the terms and conditions that may help?
I feel so hard done by because for the life of the contract I have had unlimited data and used literally none of it - my blackberry was never great browsing so I never really bothered so for almost 3 years I have not used any data and I finally get a phone that I can use the data on and I get charged 136 quid over the course of one weekend...
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
I have a feeling this is a screw up and you'll get your money back. You do need to cancel the BB bolt on though and convert to normal data as the Nexus uses a different type of connection.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
I have a feeling this is a screw up and you'll get your money back. You do need to cancel the BB bolt on though and convert to normal data as the Nexus uses a different type of connection.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks - I honestly would not have had a problem doing that if someone would have made me aware at any point
Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
You can always come and ask here. Generally there is a little more knowledge around this forum wink

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

ewanrw
Level 10: Inspirational
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

Seen this before.

It's down the APNs that BlackBerry use and the way it is set-up with the networks - same thing happens on all of them.

Because Blackberry uses BIS/BES and all data goes through RIM servers, only data that has been transferred using a BlackBerry specific APN is included. Data that is transferred using mobile.o2.co.uk, or any other APN is not included, and is chargeable as it bypasses RIM, hence as MI5 rightly points out, you do need to change your Bolt On.

ewan

Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys but luckily the people at o2 refunded it, I realise I should have changed my bolt on but £136 in 3days was a bit ridiculous.
Message 6 of 6