Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unintentional data usage

davowolf
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm bothered about data usage that I have'nt had the benefit of. I get 500 MB each month but in Spain a few weeks ago I had to top up with 2 lots of 500 MB more, much of which was 'accidental'.

In the normal course of events back home I often open the phone out of a WiFi area, only to find Safari or another App open, that I didn't purposely open. That's a problem with touch screens I guess. And I imagine that would be draining away my data in the background without my intention.

Is there a solution to this ? Are other users affected ?

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@davowolf  500 MB is a pretty small amount these days. It will never get you very far, particularly if you have apps updating in the background. You need to keep your mobile data completely switched off and just use WiFi where you can.

Edit: Take a look at this link: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Tips-to-avoid-unexpected-charges-on-your-bill/ba-p/12182...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@davowolf 

Background data used unintentionally is often only low volume and is nothing to worry about.

If you double press your home button, you will see all apps open and you can swipe up to close them. This way you can ensure you don't have any apps open that you don't need anyway.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 3

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@davowolf  500 MB is a pretty small amount these days. It will never get you very far, particularly if you have apps updating in the background. You need to keep your mobile data completely switched off and just use WiFi where you can.

Edit: Take a look at this link: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Tips-to-avoid-unexpected-charges-on-your-bill/ba-p/12182...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 3