Did you mean: 

Unexpected termination charge for SIM cancellation due to price increase

Jocko
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello.

As per title, I have a Virgin Media VOLT/Ultimate package which includes an O2 sim.

In response to the recent price increase announcement and confirmation I am free to leave, I cancelled via the Virgin Media Whatsapp group, but was told I needed to cancel the sim separately, direct with O2.

So, I called them and was told just to request a PAC code, and when this was applied by the new provider that would trigger the cancellation.

So far, so good. However, the response to the PAC code request includes the following - 'We hope you don't decide to switch today, but if you do your Early Termination Charge will be £114.16'.

Anyone able to clarify please why I would I have to pay a charge? Is it maybe just a stock response and would be waived in these circumstances?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147230 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28300 Solutions

@Jocko 

It should be waived but you need to check with O2.

Looks like you should contact customer service as they can help with that – message them on Social Media if that works best for you -on Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) or call on 202 or 0344 809 0202

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10706 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3105 Solutions

@Jocko 

The advice thus far, is to contact Virgin and cancel your Broadband services and then they will transfer you to o2 to cancel the sim card. 

It all needs to be done via 0345 454 1111, as o2 need to ensure your VM Contract is also cancelled.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 6

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Did you get in touch with O2 or Virgin about this @Jocko?

Message 4 of 6

Jocko
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, thanks for replies.

As I already noted, I called Virgin first and cancelled my broadband/TV package, and was advised on that same call I had to cancel via O2 separately.

I've followed those instructions, and have no intention of jumping through further hoops.  It's bad enough I've had to do this much to cancel what was taken out as a single Volt package.

Thanks anyway - appreciate the input.

Message 5 of 6

Breanna
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

@Jocko you definitely don't want to get stuck with the early termination fee if it's avoidable per the terms of your contract. Contacting O2 on social is the easiest way to reach them and get that handled.

Message 6 of 6