Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected charge for call

malGO
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am being charged for a call to a number beginning 078939... The number LOOKS like a mobile number but, from my own research, I have, just now, found it on a list of "non-standard" mobile numbers. When I made the call, there was nothing to indicate that it wasn't a standard mobile number and I would certainly not have made the call if I'd known I would be charged. This seems to be some sort of scam. Is there anything I can do to have the charge removed from my bill?

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Some telephone numbers are operated by 3rd parties who connect or forward calls to another number. There are lots of these 3rd party services and they charge O2 a different, higher rate to connect calls. Calls to these non-mobile and call forwarding services are not included in your inclusive minutes.

https://www.o2.co.uk/popups/specialnumbers-popup-07

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@malGO 

As you willingly made the call you are responsible for the charges.

You can add a spend cap so it doesn't happen again Guide: Spend caps on O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

jonsie
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Some telephone numbers are operated by 3rd parties who connect or forward calls to another number. There are lots of these 3rd party services and they charge O2 a different, higher rate to connect calls. Calls to these non-mobile and call forwarding services are not included in your inclusive minutes.

https://www.o2.co.uk/popups/specialnumbers-popup-07

Message 3 of 11

malGO
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks for the link to the pop-up, jonsie. It's a pity there isn't an automated chargeable call warning when ringing one of these non-standard numbers that look like normal mobile numbers. I have book-marked the pop-up list and will check it when calling a number which isn't a known contact. Thanks.

Message 4 of 11

malGO
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your reply, MI5. I willingly made the call, but without prior warning or knowledge that it was a non-standard number and not covered by my inclusive minutes. The problem with applying a spend cap is that there may be times when I wish to make a call to a non-standard number in the full knowledge that it will cost extra. Jonsie has kindly supplied the link to the pop-up showing these non-standard numbers for my future reference. Thanks.

Message 5 of 11

jonsie
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

I agree, there should be a warning when calling one of these call forwarding numbers

But as @MI5 advises, consider a zero spend cap

Message 6 of 11

jonsie
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions
Message 7 of 11

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

There's also a guide here @malGO 

Guide: Your Allowances - what is and isn't included 

There is much information available to customers in order to check these things.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 11

malGO
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks for your comprehensive guide, MI5. As I said at the start, I had found out for myself why the charge had been applied (though I do think the list of chargeable numbers should have more prominence than being tucked away in a pop-up). It's not O2's fault, but the fault of the tradesperson I called, who advertised their number without including a warning that it was a chargeable call-forwarding number. My original query was whether O2 offered any compensation in such a situation, but I'll take it that the answer is no and I'll be more wary in future. Thanks.

Message 9 of 11

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6605 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1488 Solutions

And let's not forget those to the IOM and Channel Isles They really catch people out

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 10 of 11