cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorised SMS while abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm hoping that someone can assist with this. I have an iPhone6S and a monthly contract with O2 in the UK. I am currently living and working abroad but have kept my phone as I travel back to the UK frequently and will be returning permanently in 18 months, so want to keep my number. Although I had international roaming enabled on my O2 account, I kept it permanently disabled on my phone, only using wifi. I had sent the occasional SMS, but noticed that I was being charged a lot of international roaming charges (£4.99) per day and when I queried this with O2 in early October, I was told that even sending just 1 SMS would trigger the £4.99 daily charge. I was horrified, but despite the fact that this is daylight robbery, I accepted that I should have understood the Ts&Cs in this regard. From that point on I never sent another SMS, the last having been sent on 30 September 2017. Despite this I am repeatedly being charged for SMS's that I haven't sent. This has happened around 3 times per month for the last 3 months. I have been back to O2 and they have investigated and their answer is simply that I have sent these. They have offered to refund some money - reluctantly after I threatened to move my account - but only as a customer service gesture if I basically admit that I sent the SMS's, but am objecting to the amount of the charge (rather than disputing I sent them). They won't budge on this position and I won't lie just to get a refund - primarily because that doesn't get to the root cause of the issue, hence I have no way of knowing it won't happen again. They have given me details of SMS's sent on 3 days in December. Two of these were sent on the same day at the same time to 2 different UK mobile numbers, a further 2 were sent also on the same day and the same time to a number 9011 and the last just has a number (no number) of HN Delivery (who sent me SMSs on the day in question, but I definitely did not text them back). 

I have spoken to O2 Customer Services at length on the phone twice now and they tell me that they have investigated and there is nothing more they can do, but I am not going to be fobbed off that easily, particuarly given this could conitnue happening at random and I have no control over it.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any insights into what the issue is?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The 9011 number is the iMessage, voicemail and facetime authorisation codes.
If you turn phone off it will re-authorise the services when you turn it back on again.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks - would be good to understand the other numbers, but that's a good starting point. You were able to answer that very quickly, yet O2 themselves couldn't provide that explanation after 2 calls of 30 minutes each and an investigation. You seem to be a real guru - do you think O2 should have been able to tell me that? And is there any way I can stop it happening? Is my service provider allowed to charge for those messages? It feels like I can't be the only O2 customer who has been burnt by exhorbitant charges for the same thing.

Message 3 of 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'm not sure why they couldn't tell you.
The only explanation is that you spoke to someone with no idea what they were talking about.
The text messages would usually be free but because you are abroad they trigger the charge. I believe this to be an issue with the way O2 have the system set up but I'm not an expert on that aspect of the network.
Also, you aren't the only one to be caught out by it and I would always advise any customer to call to have the charges refunded, esp if it triggers a daily travel charge!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 20

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Welcome to our forum @Anonymous! Sorry to hear you've had unexpected charges. 😞 Please do let us know how you get on with this and if you have any progress with customer service?

Cheers @MI5 slight_smile

Message 5 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Marjo, do you work for O2? No, I haven't resolved this, insofar as following two lengthy phone calls and an 'investigation', I have been told only that these SMSs originated from my phone. I absolutely dispute that I have sent any SMSs since 30 September. I have been offered a partial refund as a gesture of goodwill, which I have refused as I want to get to the root cause of the issue - that's the idea of complaint handling, not just to fob a customer off. I really don't have much faith in this so called investigation, given that MI5 was able to readily explain at least one of the charges (which clearly was not a SMS that I sent), yet O2 cannot. I have now had no choice but to switch international roaming off my phone, which is very inconvenient as I travel a lot and will now have to ring O2 to activate it every time I do. My only recourse now is to raise a formal written complaint and will escalate to Ofcom if necessary.

Message 6 of 20

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous thanks for coming back to update on your issue, sorry you're still struggling with it. I'll drop you a quick PM (private message here on the forum) shortly to get a few additional details to see if we can help in any way!

Message 7 of 20

beenhereawhile
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have experienced a similar issue; my bill when in australia recently is showing 41p SMS charges for almost every day I was there over a month, despite my having roaming and data switched off and sending no SMS or MMS or anything like that. I only used wifi when available 😞 I don't know what has happened and 02 just tell me that the charges are valid as they originated from my SIM card. I absolutley have sent nothing and my SMS section of the phone shows nothing, I even went back through my google activity timeline to see if any app was doing anything weird but could find nothing. Also, data being turned off I picked up about 10p's worth of charges - despite being miniscule amount I'm not sure how this can happen as it is all supposed to be turned off? Any help appreciated, thanks

PS the number the messages are sending to on the bill shows up as 09017 - o2 couldn't explain what this was and said they couldnt see where the messages had been going to as messages sent from abroad are first sent to a data centre which send them on (maybe this is the data centre number then?) - doesnt make much sense to me.. 

Message 8 of 20

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Got an iPhone?
Turned it off/on?
It will register on the network each time by sending a text for iMessage...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 9 of 20

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @beenhereawhile we can get someone to look into this one for you. I'll need some details so I'll send you a message. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 10 of 20