cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect with WIFi extra on the London Underground, my number isn’t recognised

Rashad
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I hope someone from o2 will be able to help me within an issue I have, webchat and customer services are giving me the run around.

I cannot for some reason connect with VirginWIFI on the London Underground, I understand that is different from o2 WIFI and that I do not need any credentials to log in as this is controlled directly by o2 via the SIM card.

When I select VirginWIFi, I’m directed to a splash screen – when I select o2 from the Virgin portal. I’m then asked to enter my number, upon doing so I’m greeted with an error message something along the lines of ‘only o2 number can connect etc….’

I also believe that this may have something to with porting my number from another network.

I’ve been with o2 for just under 2 weeks, and web chat + customer services are just shocking, neither are able to understand what the underling issue is here.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions

o2 wifi extra only applies to o2's own wifi service, and not to the service provided by Virgin Media on LU

I would read this article here from o2 which has some additional steps:

https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-london-underground

Also if you ported the number from another network then it will be still registered to the old network, and as such wont allow you to connect. 

I would suggest asking your old network to talk to Virgin Media, to have the number released to allow o2 to add it to there database on VM's infrastructure

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144152 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Give this a try https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/O2-Wifi-At-London-Underground-Not-able-to-conn...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Rashad
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thanks for your quick reponse, it seems that info is out of date and no longer applies.

I has a look here - https://www.o2wifi.co.uk/about/extra

and it seems that it should just work, but it doesnt 😞

Message 3 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144152 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Ok sorry about that.
I guess you’ll have to keep on asking customer service to help.
Ask them to delete o2 WiFi access completely from your account and reapply it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 6

Rashad
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Ok sorry about that.
I guess you’ll have to keep on asking customer service to help.
Ask them to delete o2 WiFi access completely from your account and reapply it.

thanks will do slight_smile

Message 5 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions

o2 wifi extra only applies to o2's own wifi service, and not to the service provided by Virgin Media on LU

I would read this article here from o2 which has some additional steps:

https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-london-underground

Also if you ported the number from another network then it will be still registered to the old network, and as such wont allow you to connect. 

I would suggest asking your old network to talk to Virgin Media, to have the number released to allow o2 to add it to there database on VM's infrastructure

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 6 of 6