cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPGRADE DUE : Help needed please

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all, ive been onto live chat for 30mins and no one`s answered so I thought id post here as im after advice and new to this.

First off, ive been with O2 now for maybe 4-5 years and I have 2 contracts, 1 for my phone and 1 for my wife`s, we spend roughly £70 a month between us. Our contracts are due for upgrades in 10 days (21st Feb) on the 1 month early upgrade deal. 

So after a few weeks of reading reviews etc, we`ve decided to leave our blackberrys behind and try out the new sony experia z. My friends advised me to shop around and I was happy with  02, always have been, BUT ive just seen an advert which got my questioning the price 02 are charging for this handset. 

The sony z with unlimited minutes/texts/1GB data and handset free is £41 a month over 24 months with 02.  The same phone with orange, infact the same deal , with orange , is £35 a month and you get £110 cashback! Or they have the cheaper deal with just 500mb data for £29 a month with £110 cashback. There`s also numerous other company`s offering it cheaper than 02 , some I think are even on the 02 network. 

Now considering im buying thisn twice, its a MASSIVE deal for me. Its £220 cash in my hand, and a saving of £12 of £24 a month for 2 years!

What do I do? I know for a fact that 02 wont budge on their prices, and my contract will officialy be due to end on the 21st march I think. How would it work if I changed networks, and would it worth contacting 02 to see of they`ll offer me a better deal ? Or is it a total waste of time. 

Im adamant on the fact that I want 2 sony experia z`s, and will now find it very hard to stick with a company at such a price, given ive seen what ive just seen. 

Cheers for any advice peeps, 

Mario 

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Rather unlikely you'll get a discount but try retentions and find out. 

Be careful with cashback deals as you have to be exact when claiming. Given its probably with a 3rd party check the small print carefully as you could be worse off. Also watch the hidden extras like insurance which may be tacked on and you have to cancel within a certain time. 

Before you go over to the dark orange side Smiley LOL, get yourself a PAYG sim on orange and test your coverage. That way you'll know if its worth swapping over. If it is then go for the best deal that suits your pocket as loyalty means nothing these days. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Rather unlikely you'll get a discount but try retentions and find out. 

Be careful with cashback deals as you have to be exact when claiming. Given its probably with a 3rd party check the small print carefully as you could be worse off. Also watch the hidden extras like insurance which may be tacked on and you have to cancel within a certain time. 

Before you go over to the dark orange side Smiley LOL, get yourself a PAYG sim on orange and test your coverage. That way you'll know if its worth swapping over. If it is then go for the best deal that suits your pocket as loyalty means nothing these days. 

Message 2 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

As always, go with the best deal for yourselves. Loyalty no longer exists (at least it's not a 2 way thing!) Make sure that the network you choose has good reception within your home and your normal habitat. Best to get a free P&G sim from the network and check beforehand.

Take into account customer service as well as coverage.

You could try contacting O2 on 202 and choose the 'thinking of leaving' option and you will be put through to retentions who may come up with an offer. Please...do NOT use chat, speak to them personally in matters such as this.

Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheers slight_smile

If it wasnt for the sake of having to shell out £50 for each handset id take the £36 a month 02 deal and wouldnt bat an eyelid. £42 a month for 24 months x 2 = £2000+, £31 a month for 24 months = £1500 for the same deals. 

Message 4 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thankyou - i`ll do that on the 21st - no point ringing yet is there. 

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dont do this for the cashback, Orange are famous for not paying out. Check the reviews of Orange on your cashback website, I bet there are a lot of disgruntled customers who are not getting the cashback they expected

Message 7 of 7