cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to report a fraud

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I appear to be the victim of identity theft and have had two phone contracts taken out with O2 in my name at a previous address.

I am trying to report this to O2 but can't see how to do that via the website.

I spoke with someone over live chat but neither they or their supervisor were able to assist, other than to give me a premium rate phone number that is only staffed Mon - Fri 08:00 - 18:00.

Does anyone know how I can report a fraud sooner than that?

I do not have a landline so will not be phoning a premium rate number from my (other carrier) mobile phone.

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
0344 8090202 call this number and stay on hold
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Have a look at this help thread...

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/everything-else/fraud-and-phishing-advice

NB There are many numbers within the contact us link......though in terms of O2... this will have to be done first thing in the morning

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 19

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
0344 8090202 call this number and stay on hold
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - thanks for the reply.  I did find that page initially but 'report a fraud' link just sent me through to the contact us page, which made me use the live chat feature.  The person I spoke to on there, whilst obviously trying to be as helpful as possible, didn't have the authority to raise a fraud case (and neither did their supervisor) and told me I had to wait until the department opens on Monday morning at 08:30.

I would have thought that in situations like this (i.e. trying to recover effectively stolen handsets and blocking the phone numbers) time would be of the essence.

Appreciate your help 😉

Message 4 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Will give that number a call first thing in the morning - many thanks.
Message 5 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Thing is.... there is a link for lost and stolen phones but as you don't have the numbers for those taken out in your name it is different. Please dont wait till Monday.... Customer services are open tomorrow ....times in the link I gave...so ring and speak to someone first thing...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 19

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Don't raise your expectations too far. Whilst the fraud dept will investigate, they don't rush.
It will be sorted out completely but it won't happen immediately.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 19

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
tbh I doubt cs won't do anything.
You need to talk to fraud on Monday, but as I said, they don't rush so waiting won't make any difference.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

That may well be the case....but if I found someone had fraudulently purchased two phones 'in my name' I would want it on some record or another asap....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 19

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
You also need to report this to the three credit reference agencies and check for anything else taken out. I would also suggest you register with CIFAS.

https://www.creditexpert.co.uk/
http://www.callcredit.co.uk/
http://www.equifax.co.uk/
https://www.cifas.org.uk/
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 10 of 19