Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble unlocking Sony Xperia XZ2

Lyns1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, O2 say that the XZ2 I bought from them isn't locked, the Virgin sim says it is. The Virgin sim works in another phone.  I've requested 3 times 'unlatched' through O2 (once myself using the app +

twice by calling O2 helpline).   After it didn't work for the 3rd time I called again.  Advised to turn it off and on again and also try a network reset but didn't work.   Said nothing else they can do as they think phone is unlocked even though it's definitely locked.  Have gone through the details with them.  IMEI etc definitely correct.  Can anyone please advise? Thanks

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@O2Emma 

Can you help please?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 24

O2Emma
Former Staff
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Yeah no problem @MI5 

signature
Message 3 of 24

O2Emma
Former Staff
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Hi @Lyns1 have you received any unlocking instructions with a code on via email at all.

signature
Message 4 of 24

Lyns1
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @O2Emma , no I just got messages saying that the phone was unlocked and this was confirmed by customer service when I called even though phone still says sim locked by operator

Message 5 of 24

Lyns1
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@O2Emma , message copied below 

Thank you for your email.

The IMEI you have provided has been returned from the manufacturer as
not being locked.
Check another networks SIM in the device to ensure it's actually latched
to which network.

Message 6 of 24

O2Emma
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

Ok @Lyns1 what message on screen do you get when putting virgin sim in please.

signature
Message 7 of 24

Lyns1
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@O2Emma It asks for an unlock code. I put in 7890 which came with the sim, it says it's unsuccessful. Sim also has a 'personal unlocking key' so tried that.  Every time it says it's unsuccessful.  Called virgin, they say issue is with O2 handset but gave another set of unlock codes to try just in case but didn't work.  Also when putting virgin sim into another phone it just works without asking for unlock code.

Message 8 of 24

O2Emma
  • 1198 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 34 Solutions

@Lyns1 If you can check via this link https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00235502

This will tell you if locked how many attempts left.

Also it sounds like the code you are entering would not be a unlocking code they are more to do with sim lock which would of been set up on device itself .

signature
Message 9 of 24

Lyns1
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @O2Emma , unfortunately this link doesn't help.  I haven't been given a NUC code by O2 as they keep telling me the handset is unlocked

Message 10 of 24