cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling to Eygpt on 02 monthly contract

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi how can I reduce my messaging or will I get charged for messaging abroad on my contract phone. Please
Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

Yes you will be charged for messages.

Download TuGo (texts come from your allowance over wifi) if you are pay monthly or use apps such as whatsapp nor viber over wifi..

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

Yes you will be charged for messages.

Download TuGo (texts come from your allowance over wifi) if you are pay monthly or use apps such as whatsapp nor viber over wifi..

Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Standard Rates

Our Pay Monthly customers will be charged at the following rate when calling or texting from this country.

Making a local call to landlines or mobiles will always be the same price as calling home when you're abroad.

Sending a picture message costs 25p and it's always free to receive a text.

When in: Calling:

Making calls - per minute £1.50
Receiving calls - per minute £1.25
Sending texts - per message 40p
Cost per MB of using data:

Data usage £6*
See our standard international calling rates when abroad for all countries.

* O2 will automatically cap your data usage to £40 (50 MB) a month whilst you're abroad

Find out more about using data abroad.

From http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad

Another option of you don't want to risk any chance of bills or Tugo failing is having your phone unlocked for free for contract customers or £15 for Payg customers (T&C apply) ~ plan ahead ~ and use a local SIM card.
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there! Welcome to the community @HHurrell!
Fantastic advice from the members, I'm sure they have helped you with your question. Anyway if you still have more doubts let us know. Also remember to return to your discussion to mark a post as your solution if you found one! You can find that button on each reply you receive. See you around!
Message 4 of 12

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

Just to add, it's always advisable to switch off mobile data when travelling to countries not covered by O2 Travel.

Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
That just shows how backward O2 are it's 25p for an mms but 40p for a text? Cheaper than an mms in the uk
Message 6 of 12

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

It has always been that way outside of Europe. When I was on P&G I always sent messages as mms as it was cheaper. It's weird because in those days I'm sure mms did not use data!

Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
So if you send one now will it charge for the data as well surely it must just be the 25p
Message 8 of 12

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

It won't send now unless you have data enabled. I received a couple of mms in Thailand and they wouldn't download unless I connected to data. I ended up texting my friend and asking them to email the photos rather than connecting at £6/Mb.

Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
But if you enable data just to send the mms will it hit you £6
Message 10 of 12