Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions
Simple answer is No..

Full details of using the ship's sattelite based system are here:

works...

Standard Rates

Our Pay Monthly customers will be charged at the following rate for calling this country.

Cost per minute of calling: Ships/ferries/Airplane networks

Landline £8.10
Mobiles £8.10
Cost per text message 35p
Minute minimum charges apply

Picture message (MMS) – 40p per message

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144193 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
We get many people come on here after a cruise complaining bitterly about a huge bill.
Turn off your phone unless you are on land and ensure you are connected to a land based network when you do.
Data is even more expensive than the costs given above and you will also be charged for receiving calls.
The ship you are crushing on will give you the accurate prices applicable to you and your ship and you may find that you can buy a wifi package from them, but again, not usually cheap!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

The big disadvantage of cruising. I've been on many and I just left the phone switched off on the ship and used it only in the ports of the countries where we disembarked. Using the ships satellite network or wifi will have crippling charges. 

Message 4 of 9

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Welcome to our forum @Anonymous! Please do take a look at the info provided above and let us know if you have any additional questions. I found this info post here made by one of our members that might also have useful information!

Awesome to hear you're going on a cruise! I've never been but it's on my to-do list for the future. grin

Message 5 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

one day later and the charges have changed !!!! (or wrong option selected as in calling to ships not from)

Standard Rates

Our Pay Monthly customers will be charged at the following rate when calling or texting from this country.

Making a local call to landlines or mobiles will always be the same price as calling home when you're abroad.

Sending a picture message costs 25p and it's always free to receive a text.

When in:  Ships/ferries/Airplane networks     Calling:  United Kingdom (UK)

Making calls - per minute£1.50
Receiving calls - per minute£1.25
Sending texts - per message40p

Cost per MB of using data:

Data usage£6*
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 9

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Oh just saw that, thanks @adamtemp64!

Message 8 of 9

iphone4sir
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 160 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
I've cruised a lot and was shocked on my first one the cost of wifi on board and the normal data text call rate it using a ships "cellular at sea". I was lucky as a lot of my cruises in Europe where close to land so I picked up the network and back in the days when o2 travel wasn't a steaming ****** it worked ok.

Fortunately a lot of cruise lines are introducing better and cheaper if not free wifi so i suspect it will be the norm in the not too distant future
Message 9 of 9