cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel query

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello! A friend recently gave me her iPhone6 as she has upgraded and it was unwanted!  I have put my O2 sim in it and it works well so far on my sim only contract.  In a short while I am going to Amsterdam for a week.  If I take my iPhone6 and use my sim only contract, will I get charged a lot more?  I don't intend to use my phone for a lot of data whilst away but will use the camera and make calls/texts to the UK (and possibly a Belgian mobile).  Alternatively, would it be cheaper and easier to just take my "back-up" phone, get a Pay As You Go sim for it and use this instead?  Any help appreciated.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous You would be well advised to get O2 Travel. https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-in-europe/

Use Wifi whenever possible and stay in touch with friends and family via apps like messenger and whatsapp and even skype.

To add....Turn mobile data and data roaming off...and turn off voicemail (1760 off...1750 to turn back on)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous You would be well advised to get O2 Travel. https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-in-europe/

Use Wifi whenever possible and stay in touch with friends and family via apps like messenger and whatsapp and even skype.

To add....Turn mobile data and data roaming off...and turn off voicemail (1760 off...1750 to turn back on)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

jonsie
  • 93223 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

You should be registered already for O2 Travel. Check you have it as a bolt on

in My O2. Only use wifi when possible. Only toggle on mobile/cellular data when you have wifi.

Charges are listed here : http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 144316 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
The biggest expense will be calling the local mobile numbers.
With O2 travel the additional charges are not at all bad.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @Cleoriff @jonsie @MI5, I appreciate your help and I shall check up on O2 travel.

Message 5 of 8

jonsie
  • 93223 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
And what a great friend! IPhone6 is no small gift!

Enjoy.
Message 7 of 8

jonsie
  • 93223 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@gindygoo wrote:
And what a great friend! IPhone6 is no small gift!

Enjoy.

Depends on your viewpoint tongue

Message 8 of 8