Transferring old mobile number to another sim card

Cazzaworld
Level 1: Joiner
  • 14 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can help.

Just recently my partners' mobile phone stopped powering up. He is a O2 Pay Monthly Sim Only customer. He took his sim card out and put it in my mobile (O2 phone). His sim card refused to work. I can't remember what it said now.

My partner went to the O2 shop. The lady who worked there, sold him a £10 pay as you go sim card with a different number?!?!? Not sure why, as I wasn't with him at the time.

Is it possible that he can have his old number transferred to a sim card that works?

Unfortunately whilst this is happening, he is paying for a contract (old mobile number) that he can't even use.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

@Cazzaworld 

He needs to call customer service to get a new pay monthly sim with his contract details and number on it. This is what the store should have done in the first place..
Numbers here Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 
When it comes to the reason you are calling stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else
Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.
Say "Upgrade", "Lost/Stolen" or "Fraud" if you have to, to get put through to someone.
8.00am is the best time to call if you can.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

@Cazzaworld 

He needs to call customer service to get a new pay monthly sim with his contract details and number on it. This is what the store should have done in the first place..
Numbers here Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 
When it comes to the reason you are calling stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else
Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.
Say "Upgrade", "Lost/Stolen" or "Fraud" if you have to, to get put through to someone.
8.00am is the best time to call if you can.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

Cazzaworld
  • 14 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi MI5,

Can he go back into store to do this? But obviously not be served by the lady that sold him the sim card. So he can check to make sure the sim card works in the mobile phone. The lady that sold him the sim card in the first place told him that he needs to bring his driving licence into store for ID purposes?!?!

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

@Cazzaworld 

Yes he can and ID will be required as usually they would text a code to his sim but obviously can't do that without a working sim.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

Cazzaworld
  • 14 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry to be a pain, unfortunately his driving licence is with DVLA (they have a HUGE backlog). Do you know if there is another way they can ID him in store? He doesn't own a passport. I thought him giving his account details about his O2 account would be sufficent?!?!

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

Usually photo ID is required but they may accept a utility bill in his name at the correct address on the account @Cazzaworld 

But it may be easier to call as he would then only be asked to answer his security questions on the phone.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

Cazzaworld
  • 14 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ok, MI5. Thanks for your help. Wish us luck.....

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

fingers_crossed @Cazzaworld 

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

Cazzaworld
  • 14 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

We have contacted O2 earlier and they are going to send my partner a new sim card with his old number on. Thanks again for all you help, MI5. Its much appreciated. smiling thumbsup

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
You're welcome

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10