Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer of account to my son

Chr1sty
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
My son has recently turned 18 and now has a full time job. He has an O2 phone in my name, but we want to now transfer it to him as he will now be paying it, but more importantly he needs to start building a credit rating. After speaking to an advisor, they told me he needs to open an account and then contact them again to do the transfer. When opening a new account it asks for the O2 number which then flags up an account already exists for that number 😞 has anyone come across this, or can someone advise me on how to go about transferring this phone. I would ring again but the wait is ridiculous 😞
Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

O2Melissa
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 42 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

Hi , so if your son sets up a brand new account on the O2 website where you should be able to select a new number. When you get to the checkout it should give you two options where you would select get a new number. Alternatively he could pop into your local store if open to set up a new contract. Once the new contract is set up in his name if you then contact customer service again and make them aware of the number he wants to keep they will transfer his existing number across to the new contract and that will replace the new number that has been generated.

Hope this helps.

signature

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

O2Melissa
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 42 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

Hi , so if your son sets up a brand new account on the O2 website where you should be able to select a new number. When you get to the checkout it should give you two options where you would select get a new number. Alternatively he could pop into your local store if open to set up a new contract. Once the new contract is set up in his name if you then contact customer service again and make them aware of the number he wants to keep they will transfer his existing number across to the new contract and that will replace the new number that has been generated.

Hope this helps.

signature
Message 2 of 5

Chr1sty
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for your reply. How do I set up a new number? When you register it asks for an existing number.
Message 3 of 5

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12070 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Have you completed the minimum term (or contract length)?
If not it would be best to wait until you have as otherwise you will be charged for the rest of the deal.
If yes, then he will need to apply for his own contract (either as a sim only or with a handset).
Once that is set up, you will need to call customer services and ask to transfer the number from the current deal to the new one.
This will require both of you to be there - you to give permission to release the number, and him to request it moving to his new deal.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 5

Chr1sty
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ah I see. The contract has got another 12months yet so I will wait for that then. Thanks so much for your help.
Message 5 of 5