cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer number to SIM-only?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fairly simple question- have been on my existing phone and tariff for nearly 4 years and am looking to upgrade to a Galaxy-S5.

After doing some intensive research, the best deal I could come up with was a combination of a SIM-only one (3rd party seller offering better deal than O2 directly), while buying the handset separately. This looks to save quite a bit of money

My question is, can I transfer my number from my old phone without issue? Keeping in mind that whether I get a new contract through a 3rd party seller or SIM only, I'll be switching from one O2 deal to another. I'm hoping that as it's within the same network it'll be easier than transferring to/from someone else.

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Yes, once you have your phone and sim just call CS on 202 or pop into an O2 shop and they will be able to request a number transfer for you.
Your old tariff will then be cancelled and you will stop paying for it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Yes, once you have your phone and sim just call CS on 202 or pop into an O2 shop and they will be able to request a number transfer for you.
Your old tariff will then be cancelled and you will stop paying for it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 16

jonsie
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Very easy to do with a simple phone call. I would advise anyone to go this route if they can buy the phone outright.

Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick reply, now I just need to find the best handset deal I can- I've been using a spreadsheet to calculate the TCO! Thanks!

Message 4 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122949 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I did exactly the same. Bought my Note 3 sim free and changed my tariff to sim only in January. Took new phone into the local O2 shop and they transferred everything onto my new sim. Done and dusted in 10 minutes

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm glad I took the time to check which size of SIM card the S5 takes, which seems to be the micro-size. Hopefully this doesn't derail things...

Message 6 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122949 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm glad I took the time to check which size of SIM card the S5 takes, which seems to be the micro-size. Hopefully this doesn't derail things...

Actually when O2 sent me my new sim......it was a nano size. (They seem to send these out all the time now)

When I took it all instore they changed it and transferred everything over as I said

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 16

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Sim swaps are free with o2 as many times as you like or you can just cut down your old sim if you are careful.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I need to purchase the sim-only deal directly from O2 to swap the sizes for free, or will they do a swap if I purchase through a retailer like:

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/mobile-phones/brands/sim-only/sim-card/

In the meantime I'll see if I can find a deal that does the micro-sim. I did find a youtube video on cutting the sim down to size, obviously I'll make that a last resort!

More info
Thinking
Message 9 of 16

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Doesn't matter where you get the deal from.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 16