Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer a contract?

Emmalcox
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all, you've helped before so hope you can again...

I've had a contract, pay monthly for a while. One of the contacts on my pay monthly is my eldest sons and he has left home now, is it possible to transfer the contract over to him he's 20 years old, he's been paying his own contract for a while so makes sense it should go fully to his name???

Thanks  

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

He can only fully own it by taking a new contract in his name as he has to pass a credit check etc.
He can take over payments as he has but the contract has to stay in your name until he renews it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

He can only fully own it by taking a new contract in his name as he has to pass a credit check etc.
He can take over payments as he has but the contract has to stay in your name until he renews it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

No you cant change it

Best you can do with 02 is change the billing address, and change the direct debit to his bank account. The name on the account has to stay the same.

He would need to take out any new contract in his name....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 4

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions
Depending how close the contract is to renewal/upgrade, it may simply be a case of settling the outstanding device plan (if it's a refresh) and then doing a transfer of ownership on the number. Process of this, in simple terms, is that your Son takes out his own contract, either with a new handset if he fancies an upgrade or a SIM only if cost/credit status are an issue. You both then consent to the transfer, and he can keep his existing number on a new contract in his own name.

If it's not a refresh, you'd need to settle the remaining minimum term in full, so often not a cost effective solution.

Just a word of warning re billing address, I'd be very careful changing the billing address to his whilst the account remains in your name, as this could cause you potential issues in the future...If a "new" address is reported to the credit reference agencies then you may run in to problems when applying for credit products using your current ("old") address.
I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 4 of 4