cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Topping up

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got a pay as you go SIM card. Trying to top up on the phone and on the internet using more than one card but my top up is not being accepted. Any suggestions please?

Message 1 of 24
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

A first top-up does not have be via a shop or voucher. All options are available.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Buy an e top up voucher from a local shop & do it that way

Message 2 of 24

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I believe the first top up has to be done by voucher or instore. Maybe try an ATM.

Message 3 of 24

MI5
  • 144188 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Yes from previous peoples posts on here, you need to do the first top up with a voucher.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 24

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

o2 are having "issues" with their payment system - basically, it doesn't work.

Check out this thread - Any-other-O2-customers-having-issues-with-the-new-ONLINE-payment

In summary, if you call o2 (4445 from a PAYG phone) then they can usually put through a card payment, but seemingly only if you have NOT tried that card on-line first. If you have, then either wait until the next day or top up using another method.

There is also a ways to pay guide, again link here - Ways-to-pay-guidelines

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 24

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I repeat, the first top up has to be done via voucher according to other posters on here.

Message 6 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I repeat, the first top up has to be done via voucher according to other posters on here.

I need to have clarification on this point 'The first PAYG top up has to be done via a voucher' If this is the case I will edit the Ways to Pay guidelines. I see nothing official that this is the case.?

http://www.o2.co.uk/topup

Then we had this thread in March of last year where an O2 employee was adamant that the first top up did not need to be via voucher...

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/PAYG-first-top-up-Voucher-I-never-knew-that/td-...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 24

MI5
  • 144188 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
There is nothing official - it's just one of those bits of info that we've picked up off others on the forum.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Yet the thread I linked to said that information was wrong.

I wonder if @Toby or @Anonymous or @Anonymous can confirm this from the PAYG team? I will amend the guidelines if this is the case....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 24

MI5
  • 144188 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
I'd guess that it's not an intentional requirement but a workaround required in some cases to activate an account properly to allow other forms of top up to proceed.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 24