on 23-07-2012 18:27
I have a O2 business sim-only BB contract which doesn't expire for 4 months. I asked O2 about getting an early upgrade to a Samsung S3 but can't do it without having a mid-term upgrade and cost £££. I asked them about Fast0track but no-go to that either
I was thinking about a work-around for the next 4 months and I wonder would the following work?
1. Take out a new 24m business contract and pay one-off for Samsung S3 (£100) and use as normally, mainly for email + internet
2. Keep BB sim-only contract running and divert phone calls from my existing BB number to my new Samsung S3 number
3. When BB contract expires, port number to Samsung S3 contract.
Would this work?
Futhermore, as I have free O2-to-O2 calls currently, would the diverted calls be free?
on 23-07-2012 21:22
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
on 26-07-2012 10:17
For anyone coming after .... this workaround would work in theory, but not in practice. I'd overlooked that, if I was only carrying the new phone, I would be making calls and sending texts from my new phone number, which would lead to mass confusion from people who had my old number stored.
I can't even carry two phones for 4 months (BB for calls & texts and S3 for emails, internet & apps) as I couldn't migrate my old BB number to the new phone after 4 months.
26-07-2012 10:22 - edited 26-07-2012 10:23
Do O2 not offer an early contact buyout option that would work for you? Worth asking 202 about this - I know Orange let you buy out your own contract at any time, and even offer you a 30% discount on the cost if you then take out a new contract immediately. I did it to get my new S3.
I noticed you mentioned early buyout would cost you £££ but might be worth it just for simplicity.
on 26-07-2012 10:41
Anonymax : Your suggestion is very good but I have explored that, to my great frustration. I'll not go into the saga in detail here, as everyone would be bored reading it, but I've been told several different things by several different people at O2 (in shop and online) ...
1. First person I phoned said I can take a new contract now without any penalty but when I went into a shop to do that (so I didn't have to wait for a phone to be sent) I went through the whole process and when shop phoned to transfer my number, he was told I can't end contract early.
2. So I ring O2 and next person says the shop can 'fast-track' me and tells me to go back to shop and tell them this.
3. I do and shop says they cannot physically do this. Shop and O2 guy speak directly and can't agree on what O2 policy is, so I'm left in limboland
4. I then ring again and next guy says I can 'buy-out' my sim contract and take a new contract online, but then the cost of the phone is classified as a mid-term upgrade and they so can't offer me the same deal as a new contract phone or as shop price (??!!)
5. I think about this and then decide to go ahead anyway and then next person I ring says that I can't 'buy-out' my sim contract under any circumstances.
I just wish 02 would get their story right, as its has caused me a lot of hassle and time wasted.