cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of going Sim Only. Will O2 Mob insurance be available?

bpc1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hey people!

I've paid off my device plan today, for no particular reason than to reduce monthly outgoings and perhaps consider some new devices coming out in the Autumn that you cannot get through the O2 store.. (pixel3 maybe!) Anyway.. my contract ends in late December. When I paid off my device plan, the nice O2 chap mentioned if I wanted to go Sim Only. I never considered this option frankly. However looking into it, it could dramatically reduce outgoings now that the device is payed off.

However, wanted to see what would happen before I call again.

1) Will I have to pay off my contract (upto december) to switch to a lower priced Sim only contract?

2) Will I be able to retain or continue in some form, a O2 bolt Mobile Insurance bolt on? I like having o2 insurance bundled in for simplicity. However worry that because potential future changes of the device may present a problem there.

Thanks,

Ben

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
As you are on refresh and the device is paid off, you can switch to any sim only tariff for free, ie no cancellation costs.
Your insurance will also continue on the handset whilst you continue to pay the premium but you should cancel it when you get a new phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @bpc1 If you want to transfer to sim only before contract end you will have to pay off the remainder of your contract.

You need to mention you want to keep O2 insurance as this will be a different contract you are on.

I am sim only and O2 do have some gret deals wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
As you are on refresh and the device is paid off, you can switch to any sim only tariff for free, ie no cancellation costs.
Your insurance will also continue on the handset whilst you continue to pay the premium but you should cancel it when you get a new phone.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@bpc1 You might want to also look at other ways to insure your phone, as I believe O2's insurance is fairly expensive. Many home contents policies now cover mobiles, as do most banks. Might be worth shopping around. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@bpc1My mistake. I missed the part where you stated you had paid off your device early....You can move to a sim only contract at any time... Best thing I ever did....good luck with it wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 7

bpc1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks all! Very informative. @Cleoriff Yeah they have a £17/month deal which seems pretty legit.. saves a ton!

Yes indeed I am on Refresh @MI5 and if I can just move to a sim only contract straight away without worrying about any further cancellation fee's etc that'd be great. I assume I'd just ask about the insurance issue when on the phone to them. 

@Bambino Sounds an idea. I have used the o2 insurance in the past and it's all been relatively smooth. If cheaper elsewhere then great, but the service is the issue. 

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@bpc1 wrote:

Yes indeed I am on Refresh @MI5 and if I can just move to a sim only contract straight away without worrying about any further cancellation fee's etc that'd be great. I assume I'd just ask about the insurance issue when on the phone to them.

Yes, your airtime is cancelled for free if requested now.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/How-does-O2-Refresh-work/ba-p/1014093

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7