cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thailand charges

Anonymous
Not applicable
In Thailand, with international roaming turned off before I even landed, and have declined all calls received, not listened to any voicemail messages or made a single call.

Initially on O2 Travel, I assumed as no data has been sent or received, I would NOT be charged £4.99 a day, as per O2's conditions. However I noticed I had been charged each day for the first 5 days.

I sent NOTRAVEL to their text number, but now I receive a £1.50 charge everytime my phone rings, and £1.25 for every message left. I still have not answered the phone once nor called my voicemail or made a single call.

Incredibly on restarting my phone I get charged £1.25 everytime as the voicemail notification comes up!

I have now put my phone on airplane mode!

Surely all this is wrong and I should not have been charged at all? Am I really expected to turn my phone off to avoid charges while in Thailand?

My new wife has not been charged, she too is on O2 but has as yet not received a call to decline.

I intend to be firm with O2 on my return as their welcoming text was clear:

"Welcome to THAILAND . While you're here, calls within the country and back to the UK will be £1.50ppm. Receiving a call will cost £1.25ppm. Texts are 40p to send and free to receive. Data is £6 a MB.
Or sign up to O2 Travel and for just £4.99 a day, get all the data, minutes and texts you need in THAILAND . And you'll only be charged for the days you use it."

Thanks
Simon
Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Works anywhere too, not just in Thailand.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 31 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Works anywhere too, not just in Thailand.

I understand that of course. I mentioned it on the 29th... in relation to the op being in Thailand....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 32 of 41

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Yep slight_smile
I was reminding Adam.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 33 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Yep slight_smile
I was reminding Adam.....

Oh...Ok....LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 34 of 41

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

:s_thumbsup

Currently using:
Message 35 of 41

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

@adamtemp64 wrote:

It has alwas been the case if not on o2 travel and the voicemail is active then charged for a call to the foriegn country then a call back to the uk to leave the message.

So

1 decline a call with voice mail active a charge if not on o2 travel

2 ignore, decline a call with voicemail off no charge if not on o2 travel

3 on o2 travel no charge unless you listen to them

So if you don't have o2 travel you get charged to miss/decline/ignore calls IF you have VM on.

If you have VM off and not on o2 travel then no charge.

And no charge if you ignore the message with travel on.

So basically if you have travel with VM on or off you don't get charged? Unless you listen to the message?

But even if you have travel on you get charged - just the daily rate rather than the per minute rate.

Even the o2 help page is not clear - first it states the 120 minutes includes received as well as made calls, then it says that the charge is only incurred if you make a call or send a text!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 36 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@gmarkj No I agree it isn't totally clear but I use O2 Travel a lot as I go to Spain every 6 wks or so.

My voicemail is always OFF (even though I have TuGo and could listen to voicemail over WiFi)

It doesn't appear that the Op had Tugo as he made no mention of it at all

What is clear is @Anonymous had O2 travel ON when he first arrived in Thailand. He didn't listen to voicemails so wasn't charged. After 6 days he then opted OUT of O2 Travel... thereby switching to International Roaming.

In Thailand it costs £1.25p a minute to receive a call.  His voicemail was still on so in effect he received a call

Thailand charges.PNG

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 37 of 41

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

They do say I'm the first post that they were charged for the first 5 says of travel charges and didn't listen to any VR's or make any calls.

Currently using:
Message 38 of 41

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
@MI5 - Which is technically what should have happened, if by receiving a call you are liable for the daily charge.
@Cleoriff - I don't understand (or agree with) being charged to receive a call if it goes to VM. Surely if a call goes to VM then you don't receive it?!?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 39 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

They do say I'm the first post that they were charged for the first 5 says of travel charges and didn't listen to any VR's or make any calls.

Yes and that was when they were on O2 Travel.(and the reason I asked them to check with CS regarding costs and bill breakdown)

They then opted out of O2 Travel and it was those charges I was explaining. Last night I did ask @jonsie to confirm what I had said about international roaming....He did with this reply... "if voicemail is on and someone leaves a message you are charged once for that and then again if you listen to it, unless you are using TU over WiFi". 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 40 of 41