Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texts from UK to Guernsey

DDRomford
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I have just spoken to O2 and asked what the charge for a text, sent from the UK to Guernsey in the Channel Islands is. I was told they are included in my tariff and would be taken from my text allowance.
Guernsey is not in the EU and, although it has it's own government, the Channel Islands are a British Isle and fall under the Queen.
I am trying to find out if anyone in the Community texts Guernsey.
I was previously, and for some time, using my Virgin SIM for Guernsey texts at no additional charge, but I am now suddenly being charged.
I would be pleased to hear, first hand, if anyone sends texts to Guernsey and whether they are charged outside of their allowance or not. Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes, they are charged.
T&C’s state they are not included in tariff allowances I’m afraid.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Click on “other non standard charges”
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/other-numbers-and-charges
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 14

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

From the international page 

254E72AA-4506-4E06-9F89-EF670F012CCA.jpeg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_dependencies

4 years ago o2 removed them from the inclusive calls and sms loads of posts end October 2013 on here eg https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/calls-to-channel-islands/td-p/558416

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 14

DDRomford
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 12 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thanks so much for the community help. I really don't want to complain about the O2 employee who gave me incorrect information but I may phone and ask that the employees be given the tools to be able to provide correct replies to customers' queries.
I so appreciate the help of the Community.
Message 5 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
That's why we're here wink

Currently using:
Message 6 of 14

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@DDRomford wrote:
Thanks so much for the community help. I really don't want to complain about the O2 employee who gave me incorrect information but I may phone and ask that the employees be given the tools to be able to provide correct replies to customers' queries.
I so appreciate the help of the Community.

Perhaps @MercedesS can assist with this ?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 7 of 14

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The whole point of complaining is to stop this type of misinformation costing customers potentially huge charges. Only by complaining to a higher authority will basic issues such as lack of training be addressed. I certainly would be angry enough to complain. It wasn't a difficult question and the adviser could easily have looked it instead of maybe just guessing. 

Message 8 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Without doubt @jonsie.
Common knowledge on here and all covered by O2's own help pages.
If customer service can't get the basics right, what chance is there?
Occurrences such as this should be used to ensure training and operator knowledge be improved though and not for disciplinary purposes (unless a series of repeats of course).

Currently using:
Message 9 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Without doubt @jonsie.
Common knowledge on here and all covered by O2's own help pages.
If customer service can't get the basics right, what chance is there?
Occurrences such as this should be used to ensure training and operator knowledge be improved though and not for disciplinary purposes (unless a series of repeats of course).

Totally agree with that above. Why customers like us can provide better information that O2 Customer Services actually beggars belief. Makes me so angry at the lack of continuing education and training of O2 staff

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 14