cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texts appearing on bill multiple times

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a pay monthly customer and I have an iPhone 6. Most times when I send a text message the same text message pops up multiple times on a bill - so say I send a text message at 9:02am on my bill there will be anywhere between 1-9 text messages sent to the same number at the exact same time. However - the person I'm sending the message to does not recieve the text multiple times, they just get it the once.

I phoned O2 back in November about it and the guy on the phone said he could see the problem and would sort it and refund me - nothing happened, nothing changed, no refund showed up. I went into my local O2 store before Christmas and the not really very helpful person in there said it was my phone and not the network but to try a new SIM card just in case. I took the new SIM card and it hasn't made any difference - it's still happening. At one point I sent 1 text message to someone and it's on my bill 8 times.

I've talked to Apple - they say as the text message isn't actually being sent multiple times (because the other person isn't recieving it multiple times) then it's nothing to do with them. O2 don't think it's anything to do with them. This wouldn't really be a problem as no-one is getting my messages multiple times (so they don't get annoyed) and I've got unlimited texts. However - there is one number that I have to text daily for work that is registered in Jersey and I have to pay to text it. The other month it added £9 to my bill.

Help? Anyone?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous The last time I read of a similar problem it was down to the sim. The poster was advised to change it though you have already done that. Not sure if @MI5 (or anyone else) can shed more light on the issue?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'd escalate it to complaints for investigation http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hi @Anonymous The last time I read of a similar problem it was down to the sim. The poster was advised to change it though you have already done that. Not sure if @MI5 (or anyone else) can shed more light on the issue?

That's the sympton of texts being received multiple times.

This is a billing issue I think.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @MI5 for the complaints link. I've decided to definitely check that it isn't something wrong with my phone as O2 was so insistent that it has to be - I've bought a cheap 1 week contract with a different network and am going to send a bunch of texts off it and see if the same happens. That'll tell me where the fault lies. If it is with O2 (which I feel it has to be because if the texts aren't sending multiple times how can it be the fault of the phone?) then I'll have proof and I'll file a complaint. And change networks as I'm coming to the end of my contract.

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Let us know what happens please. I'd be interested to find out.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, I will. I should know by the middle to end of this coming week where the fault lies. It's a bizarre one. And something I'd probably have never spotted if it wasn't for the introduction of my work's textburst number which is registered in Jersey and therefore something I have to pay for (as long as I have no surprising charges on my bill I never bother to look at the full breakdown of number of texts sent and when they were sent).

Message 7 of 9

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous How are you getting on? Did you manage to find out any new info on the text messaging issue? slight_smile

Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same problem, my phone sent 128 extra texts in one month using up my allowance, which is 500, I then get charged by o2 for sending texts which should have been in my allowance. they said they will investigate, but this is obviously a problem they need to look at, I have checked another bill to see if this happened before and it has, I am constantly being charged for going over in texts messages that are being doubled by o2.

Message 9 of 9