cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting from the U.K. to Europe

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have a friend in Switzerland who I would like to text and I live in the U.K.
I'm on a Pay Monthly tariff which is 500 mb of data, 500 mins and Unlimited texts. I'm guessing it will cost me extra to text outside of the U.K. and the unlimited texts are only to U.K. mobiles? I read something about 20p per text outside of the U.K., is that correct? Can you get unlimited texts to Europe?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Agnes

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions

Hi Agnes.

Pay Monthly customers will be charged at the following rate for calling this country.

Cost per minute of calling:  Switzerland

Landline£1.00
Mobiles£1.00
Cost per text message20p

Minute minimum charges apply

Picture message (MMS) – 40p per message

Pay & Go customers will be charged at the following rate for calling this country.

Landline£1.50
Mobiles£1.50
Cost per text message20p

Picture message (MMS) – 35p per message

Full information can be found at http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/calling_abroad_from_uk

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions

Hi Agnes.

Pay Monthly customers will be charged at the following rate for calling this country.

Landline£1.00
Mobiles£1.00
Cost per text message20p

Minute minimum charges apply

Picture message (MMS) – 40p per message

Pay & Go customers will be charged at the following rate for calling this country.

Landline£1.50
Mobiles£1.50
Cost per text message20p

Picture message (MMS) – 35p per message

Full information can be found at http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/calling_abroad_from_uk

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you, yes it does slight_smile
Message 3 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3671 Solutions

You might want to consider using Skype over WiFi and use its message service, or WhatsApp, or if you have iPhones use Facetime. A lot less cost than text messages.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 14

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122795 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

You might want to consider using Skype over WiFi and use its message service, or WhatsApp, or if you have iPhones use Facetime. A lot less cost than text messages.

I am in Spain at the moment @Bambino  and have never sent one text. I contact family and friends via messenger over Wifi...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6961 Solutions

Most people, worldwide now use the likes of WhatsApp, Messenger,  Skype, Line etc. Why pay when your friend probably has at least one of them. 

Message 6 of 14

Bambino
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3671 Solutions

I totally agree with @Cleoriff and @jonsie so @Anonymous please heed our advice.:smileyhappy:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I do have Skype on my phone and did have Whatsapp but for some reason now every time I try to download and reinstall it, the Google Play store keeps crashing and comes up with some error message and then my phone went dead so I had to restart it. I read something about corrupted data files or something, no idea! So Whatsapp won't work for me now unless I do a factory reset or something. But using all these apps on my phone is really slow though. I have an old Samsung Galaxy S and it's pretty knackered!!
Message 8 of 14

Bambino
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3671 Solutions

You could try uninstalling the Whatsapp app and reinstall it to see if that will help, but if you have Skype and use it over WiFi that should be enough for you. Just seems a waste of money to spend 20p per text when you can do it for free.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I no longer have Whatsapp anyway and when I try to get it again the Google Play store crashes and comes up with an error message saying "The application Google Play Store (process com.android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again"
The WiFi is not great here though, very slow and 20p isn't that bad really, would be 5 texts which would cost a £1.00 or something like that. Oh well I'll figure something out.
Message 10 of 14