Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Texting from Spain to the U.K.

Hi

I am going on holiday to Spain in a few weeks. I have an O2 pay monthly contract with 800 minuted and 500 Texts. Am I correct in thinking that if I text from Spain to the U.K. this will come out of my text allowance as four text messages?

I would be grateful for any help

Rob
Highlighted
Anonymous

yes
Highlighted
Topics: 576
Solutions: 3,926

Yes you are right. One text message sent from abroad is the same as sending four text messages which will be debited from your allowance. Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Anonymous

When did this come about? Because I've been charged for sending SMS from Spain to the UK when I've gone on holiday in the past.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi guys - I've been charged as well for sending texts from Spain to the UK - all the time I thought they were all free and I go the shock of my life when I got my phone bill through!! :mansurprised:
Highlighted
Topics: 48
Kudos: 591
Solutions: 48

If you have been charged then you need to contact o2 and speak to the,

All new contracts and contracts in the last couple of years you have been able to send sms from another country for free.

to send a sms back you will have taken 4 out of your allownece.

However if you have no allowence left then you will be charged.

for example.

If you have 500 sms and use 3000 before you go on holiday, you will only have 200 units to play with. 200/4 = 50 is sms back to the uk, after this you will be charged.

Also you can only text back to a uk mobiler number begining 07.

hope this helps
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Highlighted
Anonymous

When I went to Spain two months ago, I was happy to find that all my texts to the UK came under my free allowance.

Not only that, I also text a Spanish mobile number while in Spain. That also came under my free allowance Smiley Very Happy

I still wonder about texting other European countries. I'd like to text my friend in Sweden if it's free but only if it's free for her to receive my texts, too.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Well I was in France in August. My car broke down so I was on the phone quite a lot to the recovery service. None of my calls or texts came out of my allowance (monthly rolling £10 simplicity contract.) My daughter on her Voda contract was able to call & text within her allowance (not even 4texts per text with Voda's free roaming) I think I know where I'm going next Smiley Indifferent
Highlighted
Anonymous

Interesting thought... out-of-allowance texts cost as follows:

- UK: 11.7p
- Western Europe: 11p
- Everywhere Else: 25-40p

So once you've used up you're bundle it's (marginally) cheaper to text from Spain than the UK... yet you're burning through your free texts at the rate of 4:1.

Free texts are better than nowt, but the 4:1 ration is a bit of a joke, especially in Western europe