cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting a non-UK number abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable
So i'm trying to text a number in Ghana (non-UK number) and it charges me approx. 17p per text. Obviously total cost is tallying up, so i was wondering if anyone knows a bolt-on i could use to cover my texts abroad?

To clarify, im a pay monthly customer on an iphone 5s. Looking for a one-off monthly cost which may be cheaper to message someone abroad.

Thanks in advance,
Kammy
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144074 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Any apps other than the stock SMS phone app will need a data connection of some sort.
The only way to get your texts any cheaper would be to use a non O2 sim that gave you special rates to international numbers.
It may be worth you looking into giffgaff or Lycamobile as they both offer cheaper rates than o2's 14p per text (international sim).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 144074 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
It's a bit cheaper with an international sim https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/international-sim/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23034 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

Skype messenger or Whatsapp over WiFi?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Unfortunately where she is staying there is no wifi at all 😞
Message 4 of 7

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

She doesn't need wifi if she has any of the apps. She can receive messages via data even if you send via wifi. It depends if she has a data allowance on her account.

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I dont think this will work 😞

She doesn't have any data or wifi to receive messages.
I tried a 3rd party app which sends SMS messages for free but she hasn't received them - i assume she needs data to receive them
Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 144074 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Any apps other than the stock SMS phone app will need a data connection of some sort.
The only way to get your texts any cheaper would be to use a non O2 sim that gave you special rates to international numbers.
It may be worth you looking into giffgaff or Lycamobile as they both offer cheaper rates than o2's 14p per text (international sim).

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7