cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting UK from South Africa

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, im off on holiday to South Africa soon and would like to know if its possible to send texts to the UK. I am on pay as you go, using an unlocked Nexus 4. I have seen its possible (49p a text not using the travel bolt on). 

The reason i ask is prieviously ive been to Costa Rica and Cuba (although using a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 locked to O2) and been unable to send a text home, despite members in my travel party using O2 and being able to send texts themselves.

Are there any phone settings i need to activate etc to be able to do this? 

Thankyou.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144204 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
You should call CS on 4445 before you go to ensure that international roaming is enabled and you need roaming to be enabled in the settings on your handset.
To confirm costs etc you can look here http://www.o2.co.uk/international/internationalhub
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thankyou ill give CS a call, i have an option for data roaming in the settings, is that what you mean? I did google data roaming and it was just if you needed to use the internet, nothing about calls/texts.

Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 144204 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

Shouldn't need it for calls only, no.

However, even if not using data, you should select 3g networks, not 4g as sometimes this can prevent a complete network connection.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks, i appreciate the help.

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 144204 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
No worries.
Let us know how it goes please.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Had a chat with CS and i dont need to enable any account/phone settings, just text/call as i would in the UK. Thanks again.

Message 7 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I know things have changed a bit now but when I was on PAYG I always contacted CS to let them know I was going abroad. I think back in those days I also panicked that my phone wouldn't work properly..or that they would think it stolen and someone else was using it....(I know, I know...but that was my worry) wink

At that time 'they always appreciated the heads up'...or so they told me...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 144204 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Had a chat with CS and i dont need to enable any account/phone settings, just text/call as i would in the UK. Thanks again.

Fingers crossed slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9