cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text message problems?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I never received a text message from a friend the other day, and we thought someone was ignoring someone (Situation). He recieved my message but I never recieved what he sent. Why is this?

And also something REALLY wierd happnend in a message where something else was sent to me instead of the proper written message. I only found out because the message was a little wierd and didn't make sense. A few words at the end of the text didn't make any sense.

We compared what was sent and what I recieved and they were strangely different (not the whole text but the last sentence).

Orange to O2 by the way. And iPhone 4 to Galaxy Nexus.

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
They were both interesting reads, sorry I didn't have the time to check my posts. I didn't know there was a thing called Silent SMS which the police can use to track people. Still not sure how they would work if a phone doesn't have GPS however.

Might be a bit off topic but what do you think of this offer?
600 minutes, Unlimited Texts, and 100mb of data, for £3.08 a month. http://www.mobiles.co.uk/o2-sim-only-best-deals.html?tid=SD5SMMAR12

Click on the 10 month free option under 'offers'. It soudns too good to be true for me, and will I be able to keep my number?
Message 11 of 43

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
You can port your number to any contract you own.

As for the GPS bit you can use something called triangulation to pinpoint someone's location(well the phones) from what I know it requires a fair amount of tech and is very dependant on network traffic and physical obstructions (builds,hills so on)

Looks like a great tarif. I can't find mention of only open to new customers:) id grab it with both hands if I wasn't tied down for 2 years:) (gf loves me talking like that haha)
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 12 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh right but this isn't going to be directly with O2, not sure if you looked at the link but its with a company called Mobiles.co.uk which is apparently partners with Carphone Warehouse. And they would never know you was an existing customer, just use another card tongue

That SMS thing is interesting, I should become a spy.
Message 13 of 43

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Only thing I've got against it, is that you have to send in your phone bills every two months.

And I'm very sceptical about this line from their privacy policy

"The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"). "

You'd have no ability to drag them through court if they sold your data.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 14 of 43

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
More interesting terms in their T&Cs

"* In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;"

"
Your Personal Information is confidential and, although we may freely disclose it to other companies within the Best Buy Group, we will only disclose it outside the Best Buy Group when"

You could well be heavily bombarded by spam txts/calls in order for them to recoup the losses they make by discounting your bill.

I also cannot find mention of opting in or out of advertising so I presume you'd have to opt out but I can't find where.
Message 15 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmm I thought it would be too good to be true, however I see no problems with paying £10 every few months for my £3 internet bolt on and occasional unlimited texts.

So these terms in their Privacy Policy and T&Cs are unusual then I guess. I've never had any experience in contracts so I wouldn't know. I don't think I'll opt for anything to do with spam texts ever on my phone which I use for the important things.

Thanks for looking so far indepth for me, it really means a lot slight_smile Thankfully I didn't sign up for it grin I think I should be happy with what I'm getting atm
Message 16 of 43

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I'm sure you will be:) you might get the occasional spam txt but I don't think it will be nearly as bad as it would I'd been with the mentioned tarif:)

No worries I sadly enjoy reading the legalities of contracts haha. I like to make sure I know who I'm dealing with and how they plan on using my data.

If I'm honest I'm not hugely happy about the guru techies having access to my data when they're not in this country.
Message 17 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
I never get any spam texts at the minute on O2 grin This is why I can't risk losing my number to some cheap online contract. I would have stayed on T-mobile if it wasn't for all the fringe benefits I get with O2. Rewards, Moments, Free texts, and the customer service.

I too like to do this as well but I didn't go far enough into the forms to see an agreement box. I guess they both are the same.

I also agree with you on the O2 Guru techies (Plus O2 Web Advisors) as well. TBH they aren't really that good at what they do.. :S Half of the time they don't understand my technical query and I've got better, more accurate answers elsewhere. I'm always hesistant giving them my number and 'security details' to access my account.
Message 18 of 43

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I don't mind the techies so much they are based in uk (as far as I know)

But the web "gurus" are terrible and I'm not happy about them having access to my data.

Perfect example of the web gurus which I have an email transcript off.

I recieved my iPhone 5 during the whole delivery debacle and the next day I asked a guru why my phone hadn't been dispatched yet and why was it taking so long.

I was told that it was still awaiting dispatch and I should receive it in 1-2 weeks.
Message 19 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I beleive that all O2 customer services via phone are in the UK, only the web chat's are outsourced.

They've got no idea what's going on. And on my many occasions with dealing with them they've given me incorrect information which are just quickly assumed before even asking any more details to get a better understanding.
Message 20 of 43