cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text message problems?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I never received a text message from a friend the other day, and we thought someone was ignoring someone (Situation). He recieved my message but I never recieved what he sent. Why is this?

And also something REALLY wierd happnend in a message where something else was sent to me instead of the proper written message. I only found out because the message was a little wierd and didn't make sense. A few words at the end of the text didn't make any sense.

We compared what was sent and what I recieved and they were strangely different (not the whole text but the last sentence).

Orange to O2 by the way. And iPhone 4 to Galaxy Nexus.

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Does it happen often?

SMS are renowned for screwy messages.

Apparently something like 3% a day don't even get delivered open_mouth
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
No this doesn't happen often but I communicate a lot through this method.

Could you give the source where it says SMS are renowned for screwy messages please? I haven't had this issue before with other networks, and my coverage is pretty good with O2.

Ah that's why O2 needs to enable delivery reports on their network. Nobody wants to enter #0* or whatever it is everytime 😞
Message 3 of 43

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

I can't find the orginal study I read but here's a link to a reputable tech site that cites 95% sucess

http://www.techmaish.com/here-is-what-you-dont-know-about-sms/

(paragraph 7)

Delivery reports would be great but I imagine they'd generate an aweful lot more network traffic. (Equal more network issues/SMS loss)

Have you tried whatsapp?(or similar) the app provides send/recipt notifications.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 4 of 43

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

An interesting article from Wikipedia about SMS, here's a sample:

Unreliability

Unlike dedicated texting systems like the Simple Network Paging Protocol and Motorola's ReFLEX protocol,[44] SMS message delivery is not guaranteed, and many implementations provide no mechanism through which a sender can determine whether an SMS message has been delivered in a timely manner.[citation needed][45] SMS messages are generally treated as lower-priority traffic than voice, and various studies have shown that around 1% to 5% of messages are lost entirely, even during normal operation conditions,[46] and others may not be delivered until long after their relevance has passed.[47] The use of SMS as an emergency notification service in particular has been starkly criticized.[48]

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 43

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Good find I didn't think to check wiki. Glad to see the source has citations:)
Message 6 of 43

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Interesting read

When I was in USA on my previous network (The fruit one)I had used my phone for the 3 weeks I was in Florida.

On landing back at Manchester and switching my phone back on I got the Welcome to the USA text lol.

I never knew Manchester airport had moved to the USA over night lol

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 7 of 43

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 8 of 43

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Interesting read perksie thanks for sharing that.

Also, good in you for customizing your signature for such a poignant date.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 9 of 43

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Toby wrote:
Interesting read perksie thanks for sharing that.

Also, good in you for customizing your signature for such a poignant date.

It means a lot to me, I never saw my dad until I was three, but at least he came back when so many didn't.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 10 of 43