Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Text and Web false advertising

I am on Text and Web and I topped up today. The website says that a £10 top up gets you 300 texts and unlimited internet. Screen captures below:

However when I topped up I got a text saying I now have unlimited texts for the month, no internet. I contacted them via the website and they replied saying that the website is incorrect! Surely a breach of the regulations in that the product is not "as advertised".

Anyone else had this?
Highlighted
Topics: 296
Kudos: 1,854
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

Did you take text and web before the 31st jan?

If so see this snippet from the t&C here http://www.o2.co.uk/textandwebterms# as the offer was extended to 31st jan
If a new or existing customer has opted into Text and Web within the Introductory offer, they will continue to receive this offer when they top up monthly. If the customer then opts out of Text and Web introductory offer and into another O2 tariff, they will not be able to opt back into the Text and Web introductory offer.

if so you get this
Text and Web introductory offer gives you either:
Unlimited inclusive UK texts provided you have topped-up between £10 and £14 in the previous month; or
Unlimited inclusive UK texts and an inclusive Unlimited Web Bolt On provided you have topped-up £15 or more in the previous month.

If all above apply how can it be false advertising what is shown in your screen capture is new customers
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 11” 2018 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Highlighted
Anonymous

Did you take text and web before the 31st jan?

Yes.
If all above apply how can it be false advertising what is shown in your screen capture is new customers

When hunting around for my current tariff's prices I could find nothing apart from the screen captures I have given. I did not think of diving in the T&C, and if that is the only place customers can find out their current package's details then that it is poor.

Another thing that is poor is that the customer service representative must have been able to see when I signed up to Text & Web, and rather than explain what you have explained (which I thank you for) he said the website is in error.
Highlighted
Anonymous

How much did you top up? You may be on the Old Text and Web.

For People Who joined T + W before 31st Jan:

£10-£14 - Unlimited UK Texts

£15-29 - Unlimited UK Texts + Unlimited Web

£30 - Unlimited UK Texts + Unlimited Web

£10 - £14 - 300 UK Texts + Unlimited Web

£15 - £29 - 600 UK Texts + Unlimited Web

£30 - Unlimited UK Texts + Unlimited Web

You may still be on the old T + W. But I would stay with the old one as its better.
Highlighted
Anonymous

You may still be on the old T + W. But I would stay with the old one as its better.

It seems I'm on "old" Text and Web as opposed to "new" Text and Web. I wasn't aware there were two versions and neither did the O2 customer service rep seemingly.

Personally I wouldn't use more than 300 texts a month so the unlimited internet would be appealing to me. However it seems I can't switch from "old" to "new" because I signed up to Text and Web via the website last night to make sure I was on it, and I got a text this morning saying I was already on it. I then topped up straight after and got the old Text and Web allowance.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I'm just glad I used the search feature and found this post, thanks for all the helpful replies as well.

I recently topped up £10 too, expecting to get "unlimited" internet access, instead it charged per usage.

I never thought of looking into the t+c's for something like that either, seeing that it boldy stated I would get unlimited internet access, by topping up £10.

Anyone else going to follow me by reporting it to the "Advertising Standards Authority (ASA)"? For misleading/unfair advertising. Smiley Mad
Highlighted
Topics: 296
Kudos: 1,854
Ideas: 6
Solutions: 1,316

Just for clarity The ASA will not be interested and will point you to trading standards.

The information on any companys website is not deamed advertising by the ASA I know as complained about a different companies advertising and website and was told by the ASA that they can only deal with advertising pointing me to trading standards for web content.

If the information was a popup advert different but not content on the companys own website.

Hope that helps

Also the current T&C for text and web say this
Available to Pay & Go customers.
Text and Web gives you either:
300 inclusive UK texts and Unlimited Web provided you have topped-up between £10 and £14 in the previous month;
500 inclusive UK texts and Unlimited Web provided you have topped-up between £15 and £29 in the previous month; or
Unlimited inclusive UK texts and Unlimited Web provided you have topped-up £30 or more in the previous month.

Which backs up the screen shot above
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 11” 2018 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Highlighted
Anonymous

Text and Web now seems to have two versions, "old" and "new". I don't think this is adequately explained on the O2 website. The concept is confusing too, I can understand signing a 12 month contract and being bound by its terms for that period, but pay as you go doesn't really work like that. I think of it more as signing a mini-contract each time I top up.

Also, my attempt to switch to the "new" version was met with a message of "you are already on Text and Web". So it seems existing customers cannot benefit from the new allowance which seems unfair as I am not in any minimum contract period on pay as you go.
Highlighted
Topics: 574
Solutions: 3,898

It's a stupid system that differentiates between older and newer customers and I think it is completely unacceptable. Sky TV and other companies use similar schemes to attract new customers but it leaves a nasty taste in the mouth for all previously loyal customers. O2 need to sort this out.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Guys, The old version was better.

Compare

£10 - Unlimited Texts, Or 500mb web and 300 texts - I would go for texts

£15 - Unlimited texts and 500mb web, or 600 texts and 500mb web <-- Best example. Old Version is better.

The reason it is hard to switch it that it is obvious that most people like the old version more as it is better value for money. If you want to switch, Which I would say not to. You have to switch to a different tariff. Wait a month and switch back.. That is all I can think off.