Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible signal - far worse than the network coverage app says

DuncanKent
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The signal where I now live is atrocious. I can't call without using wifi dialling, and I can almost never send or receive texts. Even if I go outside and wander around away from the building, texts still don't often come in. When I do receive them, it's usually hours or days after they were sent.

However, using O2's My Network app on my phone, it says that 2G and 3G should be good indoors and out at my location, and 4G should be okay outdoors.

The service checker tells me there's no problem with the network, and it's been like this since I moved in a month ago.

It's not an issue with my phone as it works fine in other locations.

Is there anything that can be done about this? I use 2-factor authentication on quite a few things that work by sending me a text with a code. As I can't receive tests, this is causing significant problems.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@DuncanKent 

In all honesty signal checkers are only a theoretical computer simulation.

The only real option you have is to switch networks when you can.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

DuncanKent
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the reply, @MI5 , although it's a little disappointing. I don't suppose o2 provide domestic signal boosters?

My contract doesn't end until November 2021, so I'm stuck with O2 for the time being.

Message 3 of 5

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11991 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
We have not heard of any.
Have you checked to see if you can use WiFi calling?
A link to the website for it is below:
https://www.o2.co.uk/business/support/network-support/wifi-and-4g-calling

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@DuncanKent 

Signal boosters are only available on business contracts unfortunately. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5