cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ten years with o2, and I get treated like this - absolutely furious and disgusted

Anonymous
Not applicable

Monday March 6th 2017

I have been a pay monthly customer with o2 for over 10 years, and run two phones on o2 pay monthly. I spend an average of £115 per month.

We travelled to South Africa just over 1 week ago. I tried calling o2 to let them know we were going, but faced with a 30 minute wait, I could not spare the time. I then received a text saying that due to excess data use and charges, we would be cut off. I then connected on chat, was advised to call international number (incurring even more charges), only to be faced with another 30 minute wait.

WIthout warning yesterday we were cut off. I then contacted via chat (wifi in our accommodation) asking to be reconnected, to be told that we would have to pay excess first, and it would take24 hours to be reconnected.

I am now sitting at the airport, furious, and typing onto here via my vodafone datacard. I have been with o2 for 10 years,have travelled before and run up data bills abroad without any issues. I am on a pay monthly contract, and will most likely move to another provider unless o2 sort this rapidly and provide some form of compensation for inconvenience on my return.

Alan Green

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Just to let you know that you are not talking to o2 here but this is standard fraud protection implemented by o2 to protect the customer. 

Also calls from abroad are free from you o2 phone. 

If you wish to address this with o2 directly or complain officially the details are on this link

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Just to let you know that you are not talking to o2 here but this is standard fraud protection implemented by o2 to protect the customer. 

Also calls from abroad are free from you o2 phone. 

If you wish to address this with o2 directly or complain officially the details are on this link

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

@Anonymous as @MI5 says, this is a standard level of protection which is built in to O2 Pay Monthly products, and is covered in your T&C's. It's designed to protect both parties - you against potential unauthorised or accidental excessive use, and o2 against potential credit risk.

5.10: We can't set usage limits on your account. We'll try to monitor usage of the Service through your account to control our credit risk and your exposure to fraudulent usage or unintended Charges caused by your usage, but we can't guarantee this and O2 is not responsible or liable for any such fraudulent usage. If we see usage on your account that causes us concern, we might restrict use of the Service on your SIM Card and/or bar your SIM Card. You'll need to contact us before you can use any of the chargeable aspects of the Service again. You may also have to make an interim payment before the Service can be restored.

Whilst the CS team have to advise you of the standard 24hr timescale for restrictions being lifted, this really is a worst case scenario - in all likelihood your services will be back up and running much sooner than this once the interim payment for the charges has been made. 

Hope you get it sorted and you're back up and running soon. slight_smile 

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 3 of 7

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
You can't really say it was without warning as they did warn you. I know it's frustrating but it really is for yours and all customers security.

If you pay the excess it'll be reactivated quite quickly in most cases. Hopefully you're already sorted.
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I spent all yesterday on the plane back from SA, I will speak with o2 today. As much as anything it is the 30 minute wait. I called from the airport on the way out and naturally could not hold for 30 minutes. Then when I got the text and tried to call to resolve, I was faced with another 30 minute wait while incurring overseas roaming charges. Using the wifi at our accommodation I should have been able to sort this directly with the chat operator - but was told I had to call the number to pay and resolve the issue. Not good enough.

Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
As already stated - the number to call from overseas is free.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 7

jezza1234
Level 12: Nimble
  • 341 Posts
  • 25 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

This may seem a bity like salt in the wouind but it isnt. The best way to stop this happening again is to put the free travel bolt on, on to your account.

Once on it is there permanently and you never have to worry when you go abroad as it automaically kicks in once your 'phone registers when you switch on your phone when abroad. Additonally you only pay if you use it I.E have roaming turned on and make or receive calls. 

Not going to help you this time but hopefully fo the future.....

Message 7 of 7