Did you mean: 

Taking out a new 02 contract from a pay monthly to a third party

ecave
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I've been back and forth speaking to customer services for 02 and third party sites for a few weeks and don't seem to be getting anyhwere, hope someone can help!

I would like to upgrade my phone/contract as my current phone has a broken screen and poor battery. However my contract isnt up until October. As I'm on a refresh contract, O2 have offered to pay out the rest of my current contract and start a new one through them, however the ones theyve offered are VERY expensive.

I've found some great deals on third party sites still with O2, but none will not allow me to take out a new contract as I am still technically 'in debt' to O2 from my current contract. I am worried if I pay what I owe to O2 and take out a new contract with a third party I will lose my number. 

What is the best way to go about this? Is it an issue that I am not within 45 days of my current contract ending?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

ecave
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
*none will allow me to take out a new contract
Message 2 of 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @ecave 

Yes you can keep your number if you leave O2

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/how-to-keep-your-mobile-number 

Look at the section "Leaving O2 and Taking your Number"

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@ecave 

As you have found the free upgrade is only if you upgrade directly with O2 in a refresh contract, however, once you pay O2 what you owe, you can either upgrade or take a new contract elsewhere but still on O2 network.

New contracts are usually cheaper still and all you need to do is call O2 to migrate your number to the new contract.

This will end your current O2 contract and your final bill will be generated immediately.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 8

ecave
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Okay thats great thank you!

So when I spoke to O2 about paying out my contract before the 45 day mark and taking out a new one with a third party they said I would lose my number as I would have no contract running, is that then incorrect?

Do I need to obtain a PAC code before I do this? Or is that not possible?

Thanks

Message 5 of 8

bigdavie88
Level 9: Fired up
  • 144 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 14 Solutions

You can ask O2 to migrate the number from your current contract to the new contract you take out with the 3rd party.

Usually takes one working day. You would have 2 contracts running concurrently until the migration and as soon as the migration completes your old contract will be cancelled.

Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@ecave wrote:

So when I spoke to O2 about paying out my contract before the 45 day mark and taking out a new one with a third party they said I would lose my number as I would have no contract running, is that then incorrect?

Complete rubbish.

Get new contract.

Call O2 to migrate number.

Job done. No PAC required.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 8

ecave
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So ridiculous!

Okay, thank you so much. Will give it another go

Message 8 of 8