cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tablets and tethering

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

Can I use an O2 SIM in my phablet to make and receive calls and texts? Some companies explicitly disallow it, whereas others permit it. It seems to be random.

Secondly, can I tether with my O2 SIM? Again some companies allow it and some don't, matter of luck.

Many thanks

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You can tether on a contract sim but not PAYG.
Calls will only work if you have a tablet capable of making them, obviously.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes you should as long as the phablet is 3G/4G enabled & you have enough in your allowances 

Message 2 of 16

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You can tether on a contract sim but not PAYG.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

This is more the case @MI5 (Tablets capable of making calls) Not, as the OP states, 'companies explicitly disallowing them'?....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

What phablet do you have @akis_tzortzis?

Message 5 of 16

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Even the tablets that can make calls aren't sold with calling plans on o2, so a different sim will be required to the one that comes on contract from o2, but there are no restrictions imposed.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5" LTE.

I was on Three, for many years, until I got this tablet and realised that Three explicitly disallow their SIMs to be used in tablets,

I then went to GiffGaff, which is based on O2, and for first time enjoyed 4G, really fast, really nice. I could use the SIM in my tablet, and I could tether as much as I liked (within my allowances of course).

But then I travel to Europe by car, and Giffgaff have nothing to make roaming in Europe any cheaper, no addons, no deals, nothing. That was very disappointing.

I am in search of another provider that will allow me to use my tablet, allow me to tether, and have addons or other means to make roaming in Europe cheaper, mainly using data.

I am now testing iD Mobile who have a plan for £15 that allows you to use your allowances in Europe and in other countries. It is a bit expensive and it is a 12 month contract, and I hate 12 month contracts. But I think it is the best there is in the UK right now. Even their "normal" plans are unbeatable: full 4G, 500mins, 3GB for £10 a month, tablets and tethering fully allowed.

Message 7 of 16

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You'll find O2 speeds a bit slow when roaming in EU.
Although you get "unlimited" data it's only designed for emails and basic social media.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 16

jonsie
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Let us know how you get on with iD Mobile. Data overseas with a tablet is difficult without using a local sim. Most data plans cover UK usage for tablets and I always prefer a local sim card to be honest. Mobiles are another matter however.

Message 9 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Never heard of iD Mobile. I presume it has absolutely nothing to do with One Direction? (joking)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 16