Did you mean: 

Switching to sim only

Leethevan
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there,

I have been with O2 for a number of years and my contract still has approx 14 months left to run.  I owe £376.47 on my device and my tariff is £27.52 for 4gb, which I've recently changed, making my total payment a month £52.64. 

Unfortunately I can no longer afford this sort of payment due to my wife's redundancy and am looking to reduce my costs.  I can possibly get the money together to pay off my device, so my question is can I do one of the following:-

1) Leave O2 and get a sim only deal with another provider (would I get an early termination fee on the airtime).  I am not happy with O2 and do want to leave as they are no longer competitive.

2) Move my account to sim only with O2 for possibly £15.00 a month to avoid getting charged a fee, as £15.00 a month is better than paying nearly £53.00.

Any thoughts on this please?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

seewhatyoucando
Level 1: Joiner
  • 84 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@Leethevan

Did you manage to get through to a human at since your last posted?
Message 11 of 13

Leethevan
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't replied. 

On the date of the last post here (18/07), I managed to speak to someone on chat as the chat box randomly popped up and they confirmed the account details of where to pay my device plan off and I confirmed it was the same from these forums.  So I paid it from another HSBC account and after a few days I never heard anything, nothing to say I had paid, so I rang them up on the 24/07, managed to get through and the colleague confirmed that my payment had been received, my account was clear and I was owed £6.17? in airtime.  I told them that my DD had been cancelled and they said no problem, they can still refund it.  So I just left it at that.

So I've come back here as yesterday I received an email bill from them for £351.35, which was my device plan I paid on the 18/07.  I don't know if they have tried to take the money again.  What I don't want is this amount to get passed to a debt collection agency.

I sent an email to the address that appears on the bottom of the bills mycare@o2mail.co.uk and this bounced back saying their email support service has been shut down.

After that I decided to go for it and send an email to the complaints one.  That has been acknowledged as received and said they will get back to me in 5 days.

Should I be worried?  I am so glad I have left O2, 3 out of 4 accounts in my household have been cancelled with O2 and gone to Sky.  There is just my younger daughters who is with Tesco. O2's service (or lack of) has been awful during this time.  I know they will use the pandemic as an excuse, but other companies I've contacted when needed have sorted out my problem.

Message 12 of 13

Leethevan
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just a quick update - after raising a complaint I got a call from O2 to confirm they have received the payment, but the account details given to me were to pay for Airtime and not my device plan, which is why the payment was still showing as outstanding.  These were the same details on this community forum as well.  They said the payment has been moved across and the matter is closed.  I asked for a written confirmation that it's been paid and they said they would send, but won't hold out any hope as the colleague I spoke to on the 24th July said they would arrange this but nothing was ever received.

They also said my airtime credit would be refunded to me in 10 days.

Message 13 of 13