cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to Simplicity

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi. I have finished my contract term but I am happy with my phone at the moment so am thinking of switching to simplicity tariff but if i choose the 12 month tariff and a new phone comes out that I want can I upgrade to that without having to wait for the end of 12 month contract?

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93984 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

Thanks to miss_cahill for posting this a while back, shows the advantage of having O2 staff giving up their free time to post on here.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Upgrade-anytime-with-12-month-Simplicity/m-p/357...

A while ago customers who upgraded to a 12 month simplicity could upgrade to a phone contract at anytime with O2 direct only i.e not via Carphone Warehouse or any other third party company for an O2 contract.

They could do this anytime during the 12 months, without having to pay a buyout fee to do so.

However, there was an exception to this rule which was the £20 per month sim only for the unlimited on and on tariff, which required the customer to stay on the tariff for a minimum of 6 months before they could upgrade, again only via O2 directly, without paying a buyout fee.

It was a promotion/offer just for the 12 month sim only's that the O2 re-contract team are able to offer so you are unlikely to find it in any terms and conditions, however, the upgrades teams are aware of it and there should not be any issue in you upgrading with O2 over the phone if you experience an issue ordering the phone online via My O2 due to the upgrade date showing the normal 3 months early.

This is why there are discrepancies on the web pages and within My O2.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Rycal
Level 19: Quirky
  • 435 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 47 Solutions

With Simplicity you can upgrade after 6 months.

If you are interested there is a very good business sim offer at the moment. 300 any-network minutes, unlimited O2 calls, unlimited texts, free calls to 10 landlines and 100mb of data for £11 per month. Plus for a limited time you get your first 3 months free!

I work for O2 but my comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not reflect those of Telefonica.

Message 2 of 15

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Rycal wrote:

With Simplicity you can upgrade after 6 months.

Surely that should be 9 months before an upgrade?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 15

Charlieboyoo
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 288 Posts
  • 53 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

Hi,i was in the same situation as yourself last year.I went on to a simplicity contract myself and the told me i can upgrade any time once i seen a phone i wanted.The reason they allow ya to upgrade is cause you are tying yourself for another 18 to 24 months.

Message 4 of 15

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You can't rely on that, the terms say 9 months, anything else is at their discretion.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought it was 9 also not 6
Message 6 of 15

Rycal
  • 435 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 47 Solutions
6 months for new simo, 3 months if you upgraded to a simo
I work for O2 but my comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not reflect those of Telefonica.

Message 7 of 15

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Rycal wrote:
6 months for new simo, 3 months if you upgraded to a simo

So the page here is wrong then:

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/simplicity/

Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
At last somebody agrees with me
Message 9 of 15

Rycal
  • 435 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 47 Solutions

We use a system in-store called Evolution and after 6 months a customer will show up as being eligible for a free fast-track upgrade, so long as they enter into a new contract for a handset. The customer cannot upgrade to another simo until one month before the contract end date.

Message 10 of 15