cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching my mobile phone on in Turkey, for ten minutes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I  switched my mobile on for ten minutes whilst in Turkey, checked into hotel using facebook,with one sentence of text - I then switched phone off.

The result is that I have been charged £22.58 for that one transaction over and above my monthly bill.

I rang O2 prior to going to Turkey to see what the excess would be, prior to using my phone. The answer was £3.99 per day. 

How have they arrived at this ridiculous amount of charge?

Regards, Nev

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Emma-Marie
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi , I am looking for a phone contract as mr current one with EE is coming to an end ,but I will be moving to turkey around this
Time next year , as contracts are mostly 2 years would it be Possible to continue my contract in turkey and some how change it so I can use it aboard till it ends ? Or would I have no other choice then to cancel it and pay it off when the time comes ?
Thanks
Message 11 of 13

Foddersin
  • 68 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Emma-Marie 

I believe in regard to moving abroad you cannot use the contract abroad if you have moved outside of the UK.

As far as I know all mobile networks will say that you have to use the SIM card in the UK or if outside the UK it can be used for what is deemed 'reasonable holiday'. I think O2 also has a limit of use of 63 days abroad every 4 months.

You may want to speak to Customer Services or an O2 Store regarding this.

Best bet would be to pick up a local SIM card for a network to where you relocate.

Kindest Regards,
Andrew.
Samsung Galaxy S10+ on O2 UK
Nokia 1 Plus on O2 UK
Message 12 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Emma-Marie 

You would have to pay for your device in full then cancel the airtime (free) which would mean you would still own your phone to take with you.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/How-does-O2-Refresh-work/ba-p/1014093

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 13