cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching my mobile phone on in Turkey, for ten minutes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I  switched my mobile on for ten minutes whilst in Turkey, checked into hotel using facebook,with one sentence of text - I then switched phone off.

The result is that I have been charged £22.58 for that one transaction over and above my monthly bill.

I rang O2 prior to going to Turkey to see what the excess would be, prior to using my phone. The answer was £3.99 per day. 

How have they arrived at this ridiculous amount of charge?

Regards, Nev

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You need to call customer service on 202 as this is a customer forum not o2 and we cannot see what you have been charged for, sorry.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

check in my o2 and ensure you have the standard o2 travel bolton and not the higher spend cap applied

Just under 4mb of data at £6 a mb

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 13

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You need to call customer service on 202 as this is a customer forum not o2 and we cannot see what you have been charged for, sorry.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 13

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous, welcome to our forum! Sorry to hear you had unexpected charges on your bill. 😞 Did you find out anything in My O2 as suggested above? Let us know how you get on ok?

Message 4 of 13

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Call and query the charge. You may get a sympathetic adviser who will refund some of the charges.

Message 5 of 13

MercedesS
Former Staff
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Hello @Anonymous, did you check your bill under My O2 or call CS to find out? Read here all about  Using your phone abroad with O2 Travel

Please let us know so we can help others Thanks!

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I checked my O2 bill as it seemed an inordinate amount for the amount that I used it for. I also rang O2 prior to travelling to Turkey to find out exactly what the cost of using my phone would be and was quoted £3.99 per day and the calls/texts would be covered under my monthly entitlement. This obviously was not the case! 

Message 7 of 13

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Please call them @Anonymous on 202. If you don't ask you don't get. It doesn't matter if you have called already, every adviser cannot be different. 

Message 8 of 13

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

What was the charge for on your bill and where in Turkey were you?
Is it accidental roaming?
"Accidental roaming (sometimes known as inadvertent roaming) might occur if you are in an area close to national borders because your phone picks up the network across the border. If this happens, you may be charged as though you were roaming on the network across the border. You can prevent this if you live near a national border by setting your handset to do a manual network selection (as opposed to an automatic network selection) and select the O2 network. This way if you lose the O2 network your handset will not automatically try to connect you to an alternate network. For advice, please visit your nearest O2 store."

Currently using:
Message 9 of 13

MercedesS
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Hello @Anonymous, as they said, it sounds weird. Please contact CS to find out. We cannot see your bills or any personal information. The O2 community is a group of customers like you, not CS I am afraid.

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 10 of 13