Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from PAYG to Pay Monthy

ST2020
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I recently came back to O2, having gone to Three when the merger was going to take place. I started off with a PAYG sim for a month whilst I looked at my usage and chose a tariff for PM. So stupidly I thought it would be straightforward to switch over as a, now, existing customer, just update the account details, but no.

I had to order a new SIM, that could take 3 days, and then 24hrs to transfer my existing number across. I was cheerfully told "don't worry you can carry on using PAYG until then" i.e. paying us twice as the contract is already running.

So the SIM arrrives and I go to the link I was given to request the number change and wait... so 24hrs later I call, it's not switched.. and was told it hasn't been requested... so I wait again.

There is absolutely no need for this... all you had to do is update the account details.

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

You’re not talking to o2 here @ST2020 so please keep talking to customer service to get your account sorted http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

You’re not talking to o2 here @ST2020 so please keep talking to customer service to get your account sorted http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 14

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You are attempting to simplify things too much. It's not that easy. The number needs to be ported in again and transferred to your sim. It's unfortunate that there was no record of the transfer but a combination of live chat and online requests can be hit and miss. Please call and speak to someone at customer service,

Message 3 of 14

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @ST2020, and welcome to the forum Wave

I'm sorry to hear you've found this process challenging, and I was wondering if it was all sorted now? If not please let us know and we could try and check on our end how to speed things up!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 14

Projectionist
Level 12: Nimble
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

I agree with you.

Why can't the PAYG number just be updated to Pay Monthly? Just how hard can that be - I was considering PAYG - PayM, but given your experience, I won't bother...

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 5 of 14

MI5
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Pay monthly and PAYG require different sim cards due to different settings and also a change of billing platform. It isn't just as easy as "updating" the account.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122387 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Projectionist wrote:

I agree with you.

Why can't the PAYG number just be updated to Pay Monthly? Just how hard can that be - I was considering PAYG - PayM, but given your experience, I won't bother...

It can't just be updated @Projectionist as contract and PAYG sims are completely different, which is why you need a new one if you change...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 14

Projectionist
Level 12: Nimble
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions
I would hazard a guess that most customers upgrading from PAYG to Pay Monthly would want to keep their number.
So, frankly, you *should* be able to achieve this as a standard part of the process.
"We just don't do it that way"doesn't cut it, I'm afraid
Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 8 of 14

MI5
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It is a standard part of the process but nevertheless, it's a process that needs to be followed for the reasons already stated.
You have picked up on one topic with this issue out of what must be thousands of transfers completed every year.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122387 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

6 years ago I moved from PAYG to Contract. They sent me a new sim. I was in town and popped into my O2 store. The switch was completed before I walked out of the shop.

Even if you do it yourself it takes no longer than 24 hrs and usually is far quicker.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 14