cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch to PAYG - do I get a new SIM card (keeping same number)

Anonymous
Not applicable

My 24 month contract runs out on 29th October and I want to go PAYG with 02 from then on. Anyhew - I went on livechat this evening and I was advised they could switch me over to 02 pay as you go no problem. I agreed to this and they told me the request had been approved. Great! However, I was then told that the transfer would be on 23rd September (a month earlier than I expected) and that I would lose service for 48 hours + while the transfer took place. Two questions....won't I need a new SIM card if I'm going PAYG (and when will I receive this if they're disconnecting me on Tuesday)! AND won't I be paying twice as my contract won't run out till 29th October? Not entirely clear - has anyone transferred here and able to advise? Thanks

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You will receive a new sim card and once received you need to ring customer service to activate the sim card. Your number will be transferred over and O2 will produce a final bill up to the end of your minimum term. Don't cancel your direct debit until the final payment is taken. It's all very easy and straight forward.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes you will need a new sim card.
I assume you are switching early as you get a month early today.
I would call cs on 202 just to confirm everything is OK as live chat have been known to get it wrong occasionally.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You will receive a new sim card and once received you need to ring customer service to activate the sim card. Your number will be transferred over and O2 will produce a final bill up to the end of your minimum term. Don't cancel your direct debit until the final payment is taken. It's all very easy and straight forward.

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks - I think I'm just concerned about the timing. I can't see how I'm going to receive a new SIM card in time for the change over (since it's happening on Tuesday). It did seem easy and straight forward apart from that bit.

Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I suspect live chat are going to transfer it onto your current sim, but the settings will be wrong so data and text messages may not work correctly.
You can pick up a blank PAYG sim from any O2 shop and do a sim swap yourself at anytime after the transfer to put things right http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5