cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch from a 12-month contract to a 30-day contract then cancel?

BSIL-X-2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm currently on a 12-month pay monthly sim only contract which will expire in June 2019.

I want to cancel this contract, but if I do this now I will have to pay an early cancellation fee.

However, I'm also eligible for an upgrade.

I've spoken to the call center just now, and asked whether I'd need to pay a cancellation fee if I first upgrade my contract to a 30-day sim only, then cancel. I was told that if I were to cancel within 14 days of upgrading, then my account would revert to the old contract and then I still need to the cancellation fee.

I just want to confirm here again whether this is the case. Also, does this mean that if I upgrade then wait 14 days, I won't need to pay the rest of my 12-month contract? Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144172 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
You are correct in assuming and it is a loophole that has been exploited before, so yes, you can upgrade and cancel within the 14 days and walk away for free.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

BSIL-X-2
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks MI5!

Could I clarify this a bit further?

If I upgrade and cancel within 14 days, would I be reverted to my old contract and therefore be charged the termination fee for the old contract.

Because, if above the is the case, my optimal action would be to upgrade, then cancel after 14 days.

If the above is not the case, my optimal action would instead be to upgrade, then cancel right away.

Message 3 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144172 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
The trick to this loophole is if your current tariff is still available or not.
If you've had it a while, there's a good chance it's not still available, so they can't put you back on it when you cancel the upgrade. Therefore, no contract is possible and you are cancelled.
Someone else did this and reported success but I can't remember who it was now to find their thread.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 5

BSIL-X-2
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I see!

Just checked and unfortunately it is still available. I didn't really plan to cancel, but I'm buying a cellular Apple Watch and it will not be working on O2.

I'll wait until after the cool off period then.

Message 5 of 5