Did you mean: 

Switch Up Bolt On Withdrawn

garetc
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 97 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Anyone else had the below?

If I'm reading it correctly customers with the existing Bolt On can Switch Up as normal and don't need to choose a new tariff at the moment. The next time we do, to be able to Switch Up again, we need to choose a Plus plan?

You’ve got our Switch Up Bolt On, so we want to tell you about some changes we’re making from 3 August 2023.

What’s changing
We’re removing our Switch Up Bolt On from sale, meaning it won’t be available to add to new custom plans from 3 August. 

What this means for you
Nothing will change before 3 August – you can continue to swap to a new phone when it suits you, and the amount you pay will stay the same. You can switch up after 3 August, too, but once you do, your Switch Up Bolt On will be removed from your account, meaning you’ll no longer pay for it, or be able to use it.

Want to keep the flexibility of Switch Up? Next time you switch up, you can change to one of our Plus Plans, which include Switch Up at no extra cost. 

Or, if you want to remove your Bolt On from your account now, you can do this through My O2. Remember though, once you’ve removed the Bolt On, you won’t be able to get Switch Up until your current plan ends and you get the chance to upgrade to a Plus Plan.

iPhone 15 Pro Max (EE/Vodafone)
Samsung S24 Ultra (O2/Three)
Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@garetc 

Yes, that's how I read it too.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@garetc 

Yes, that's how I read it too.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35952 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1593 Solutions

Well that lasted long, not... Just as O2 Shops had got up to speed on it, too 😖

Message 3 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10180 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

Not had an email about Switch Up, but think its because I am on a Plus Plan already..

Wonder if most people have been taking the plus plans already.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 9

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@garetc wrote:

If I'm reading it correctly customers with the existing Bolt On can Switch Up as normal and don't need to choose a new tariff at the moment. The next time we do, to be able to Switch Up again, we need to choose a Plus plan?

Yes, that's correct.

Existing Switch Up customer via Bolt-on: You can use the service as usual until 3 August 2023. From then, the next time you Switch Up (from 3 August 2023) the bolt-on will drop off and you won't be able to re-add it. However, when you do Switch Up, you can choose to switch up to a Plus Plan which has Switch Up included free of charge. 

I've added similar info to the top of my original announcement thread here, which I'll be updating fully soon.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 5 of 9

garetc
  • 97 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

It's only the £3.99 Bolt-on that's going, Plus Tariffs remain so store training is still useful.

Honestly it was a little too good to be true which is probably why they've withdrawn it.

I had a handset that was outside the returns period, decided I didn't like it so switched it out for one I was happier with after the first billing date. I'm on the cheapest tariff and have the £3.99 add-on plus I get a 20% discount because of my employer making the add-on free. While I lost the first payment for the original handset but I'd wager that O2 lost out more.

It'd probably been better for them to offer the switch up after 6 or 12 months and/or to do what EE do and charge a flat fee (£200) if it's before that time scale, to help protect their margin but giving customers flexibility to upgrade earlier (on the £3.99 Bolt Only).

Message 6 of 9

garetc
  • 97 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

As if by magic…

https://mobilemandan.co.uk/o2-to-change-switch-up-rules-scrapping-bolt-on/

@Chris_K can you confirm the change to the rules?

Message 7 of 9

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35952 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1593 Solutions

garetc
  • 97 Posts
  • 7 Topics