cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping Contract Sim to Pay as you go phone?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey,

I have a BlackBerry Q5 on contract with o2 at the moment, My contract does not run out until the middle of next year but I have gone out and bought a iphone 6 on pay as you go.

The contract for the BlackBerry is for the phone and sim together, But the sim is a micro sim, Where as for the iphone 6 I need a nano sim. 

I am wondering if I could go to o2 in store and get everything transferred off the micro sim which my contract is on to the nano sim which will be put in the iphone 6 (Still paying the contract but just not using the BlackBerry)

Thanks.

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes you can do that.

Any O2 HighStreet Store can perform the swap in store (if on Contract please take some Photo I.D just incase), or a person can take the SIM card home or request one via O2 Customer Services. 202 for Contract. 4445 for PAYG. 8002 for Business -> http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Sim Swap link -> http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk Or text SWAP to 20220

Be sure to ask for an Account Specific Blank SIM card as Contract and Pay As You Go versions hold different information. And please take some Photo ID for Contract Sim Cards just incase your asked.

The Service will stop on the original SIM card which indicates the swap has started. Turning the phone Off and On , or if applicable switching airplane mode On and Off ,with the new SIM card in every 20 minutes or so will typically help the connection to settle.

The O2 shop will sim swap for you to a nano sim.

You'll need to call customer services to be placed on iData settings too so yiur iPhone internet works ok.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes you can do that.

Any O2 HighStreet Store can perform the swap in store (if on Contract please take some Photo I.D just incase), or a person can take the SIM card home or request one via O2 Customer Services. 202 for Contract. 4445 for PAYG. 8002 for Business -> http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Sim Swap link -> http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk Or text SWAP to 20220

Be sure to ask for an Account Specific Blank SIM card as Contract and Pay As You Go versions hold different information. And please take some Photo ID for Contract Sim Cards just incase your asked.

The Service will stop on the original SIM card which indicates the swap has started. Turning the phone Off and On , or if applicable switching airplane mode On and Off ,with the new SIM card in every 20 minutes or so will typically help the connection to settle.

The O2 shop will sim swap for you to a nano sim.

You'll need to call customer services to be placed on iData settings too so yiur iPhone internet works ok.
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

The contract is under a falimly members name and details, They are unable to come into store so it will be me coming in on my own to try get it done.

What would happen if they asked for ID? Is there anything I could do if asked so I could get it done?

Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
They may well ask and to protect the account holder would only do the swap with ID.

The alternative if they won't is to call O2 Customer Services or use live chat and have one posted - which will be posted to the address held on file.
Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Due to Data Protection laws and contract laws o2 will not be able to discuss the account or make changes with anyone other than the account holder.

If the family member can't go with you to store then they will have to call Customer Services on 202 to make the changes.
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
You could ask the family member to speak to Customer services to add you as an authorised person on the account.
Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Would they not be able to ring the family member whos details it is under and speak to them to confirm that they accept and that its ok to do it?

Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
To be honest I doubt it.
Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

It's an idea but to be honest it's all about protecting the account and account holder.
Message 9 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It would be much easier for the account holder to call 202 and order the new sim on the phone.
They can get the data package changed at the same time too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 12