Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swap SIM for IPads doesn’t work and no customer service

Scribil
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Bought myself a brand new IPad 2020 and was looking forward to using it.  The transfer of data was smooth, Apple got it right but then the problems with the O2 SIM card began.  Seven hours later I have learned two things 1) don't but an iPad with data (SIM) on the O2 offering and 2) there is no customer service at all. But that is just seven hours of researching to get my SIM up and running, nevertheless. And can I speak to anybody about the issue, can I hell.  The problem, from my research stems from the a) lack of any information on the website about how to swap SIMs - yes, they have a swapsim link but then it goes into a loop.  They send one a code which goes to the number of the IPad, but the IPad cant receive text. Catch 22! 2) few people, the more sensible ones in my view, don't seem to buy IPads from O2 because customer service is a catchword.  Try getting through to someone / anyone to ask the questions!

Here I am with a brand new IPad and frustrated I cant even get a signal for mobile data yet my old IPad still shows a signal (even my old IPad is not set up correctly for mobile data).  

O2 has a lot top learn about handling customers properly.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Scribil 

You can put the sims in a phone to receive the texts to complete the sim swap but don't swap from your phone sim to a data sim or you'll lose your phone functionality.

All numbers we know for customer service here Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

Scribil
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Do me a favour.  Where is the sense of the suggestion.  Apple can get it right with smooth transfer but this problem with O2, iPads and SIM cards is recurrent and yet the same response keeps coming up - put the SIM card in your phone. Tosh. Get the customer experience and assistance right. Try getting the answer on the web, all you get is the bright sparks saying put the SIM card in your phone (and the in another vein someone else will say this does not work). It simply says don't buy IPads from O2 until they have got a solution and some semblance of customer service with a real person.

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Fair enough.
All the best.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

O2Tracey
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 103 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
You can pop into store with your iPad and some photo ID (passport or driving licence) and they will sort it out for you. Make sure you either know the phone number for the iPad or take you old SIM with you so they can get it off there. I hope this helps
Message 5 of 7

Scribil
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My apologies to MI5.  It is true that if you swap SIMs in iPads then move your old iPad SIM to your phone to receive the text code to enter into the request for the code in the new iPad.  Then enter the new SIM serial number from the SIM housing card.

my frustration was born out of the fact I had this problem 2 years ago when replacing my iPad then  and still there is no detailed explanation as to how to achieve what MI5 told me and there is no one in 02 to speak to if there is a problem of this nature.

But thank you MI5

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Non taken wink

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7