cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspect vat refund email

Anonymous
Not applicable
Today I receved an email saying "In response to an increase in VAT in the EU and currency changes, and as a result of last week's VAT-related price change, it has come to our attention that between Oct 2012 and Oct 2014 there was a system error which resulted in some of our customers paying the incorrect rate of VAT on some services.

This email had all my personal information, but asked me to follow a link to log into my account, has anyone else seen an email like this? The email looked legitimate, if anyone from O2 monitors this thread, please let me know how to report this.
Message 1 of 374
373 REPLIES 373

MI5
  • 144358 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Makes sense, but still the public need an answer.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 331 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi iam still geting these emails plus i got a text today what is going on here !?

Message 332 of 374

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144358 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

hi iam still geting these emails plus i got a text today what is going on here !?

Truth is that we don't know and still waiting for an explanation.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 333 of 374

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

I agree but ICO will not look upon O2 as having released the data if a 3rd party was hacked.

I believe that's why O2 have phrased their statements as they have. Also probably explains why O2 have notified ICO "out of courtesy" because although it involved their customers' data, O2 did not release it.

Sorry to disagree here but I will, purely on a matter of principle. I didn't sign up with anyone else but O2... Therefore if my secure details have been released by whatever means... it is O2 I would be holding responsible

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 334 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
i,am getting so annoyed now what its been like 2 weeks now of these emails and now there texting my phone number ?wtf sort it out o2
Message 335 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable

quick enough to take our money but wont give an answer ?

Message 336 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Beenherebefore wrote:

I agree but ICO will not look upon O2 as having released the data if a 3rd party was hacked.

I believe that's why O2 have phrased their statements as they have. Also probably explains why O2 have notified ICO "out of courtesy" because although it involved their customers' data, O2 did not release it.

Sorry to disagree here but I will, purely on a matter of principle. I didn't sign up with anyone else but O2... Therefore if my secure details have been released by whatever means... it is O2 I would be holding responsible

@Totally 1000% agree with @Cleoriff.  O2 have the responsibility as they hold my data. If they share it, with or without my consent, then it is o2 who must answer if their partner releases information out to the world. 

Indeed I know many a Data Protection Manager who would tell you that. 

Message 337 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

quick enough to take our money but wont give an answer ?

Sorry @Anonymous but how quickly o2 collect payments isn't really relevant in this issue. 

If you read further up, I am talking to the Directors Office at o2 on this and sharing when I have authorisation to do so. 

Message 338 of 374

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Beenherebefore wrote:

You obviously missed the bit in red above

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 339 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you!
Message 340 of 374