cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspect vat refund email

Anonymous
Not applicable
Today I receved an email saying "In response to an increase in VAT in the EU and currency changes, and as a result of last week's VAT-related price change, it has come to our attention that between Oct 2012 and Oct 2014 there was a system error which resulted in some of our customers paying the incorrect rate of VAT on some services.

This email had all my personal information, but asked me to follow a link to log into my account, has anyone else seen an email like this? The email looked legitimate, if anyone from O2 monitors this thread, please let me know how to report this.
Message 1 of 374
373 REPLIES 373

Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess the age old adage rings true ever more.

NEVER CLICK ON A LINK IN AN EMAIL OR IN A TEXT.

(sorry for caps but message is vital).

Always go to your web client and type in the address you know for the company or Google it.
Message 131 of 374

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Indeed, it's even o2 policy:

Stay safe
We'll never email or text asking you to send or verify personal, financial or password details. Make sure you keep your details safe and never give them out, even if it looks like the email or text came from us.
Message 132 of 374

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Indeed, it's even o2 policy:

Stay safe
We'll never email or text asking you to send or verify personal, financial or password details. Make sure you keep your details safe and never give them out, even if it looks like the email or text came from us.

Mmmmmmm...yeah right!! ..Evil

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 133 of 374

jonsie
  • 93174 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

Good god, it's really getting serious now. I've never heard of this sort of text message scam with a spoof sender. How many customers are these people defrauding. It's ok for us on the community knowing about it but there are millions of unsuspecting customers out there totally unaware of what's happening. It is frightening just how sophisticated these shysters are getting. O2, we need answers!

Message 134 of 374

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

I can guarantee a statement containing the words (or similar) will be issued :

"The protection of our customers' personal data is of paramount importance to O2"

Notice what I did there with the font colour ?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 135 of 374

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

I can guarantee a statement containing the words (or similar) will be issued :

"The protection of our customers' personal data is of paramount importance to O2"

Notice what I did there with the font colour ?

Yep...written in brown......Rolleys

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 136 of 374

jonsie
  • 93174 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I too received 2 VAT Refund emails, both with different but extremely convincing formats over the weekend. Both with different but accurate items of personal deta including DOB, user name, plan, serial number, PUK code. There is absolutely no way this information was obtained via a security breach on my PC. I don't think I even have a note of my serial number until I checked the phone against the email this morning.

O2 have a serious problem now, and it would appear whoever has stolen this information now has enough personal infomration to perform some serious identity theft.

Message 138 of 374

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I too received 2 VAT Refund emails, both with different but extremely convincing formats over the weekend. Both with different but accurate items of personal deta including DOB, user name, plan, serial number, PUK code. There is absolutely no way this information was obtained via a security breach on my PC. I don't think I even have a note of my serial number until I checked the phone against the email this morning.

O2 have a serious problem now, and it would appear whoever has stolen this information now has enough personal infomration to perform some serious identity theft.

From everything that's happened over the weekend and more and more people posting here about getting the same emails as yourself...O2 need to take some action and quickly. I hope a statement is made on here today. More importantly that action is taken. This time they can NOT blame individual personal PC's

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 139 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had this text too, and am usually pretty clued up about spam stuff but this got me as it was in the thread with the others from O2.  I have just spent time on chat with an O2 rep and am getting no where.  I asked them to confirm that my details were safe and they just advised me to change my password.  

Message 140 of 374