cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspect vat refund email

Anonymous
Not applicable
Today I receved an email saying "In response to an increase in VAT in the EU and currency changes, and as a result of last week's VAT-related price change, it has come to our attention that between Oct 2012 and Oct 2014 there was a system error which resulted in some of our customers paying the incorrect rate of VAT on some services.

This email had all my personal information, but asked me to follow a link to log into my account, has anyone else seen an email like this? The email looked legitimate, if anyone from O2 monitors this thread, please let me know how to report this.
Message 1 of 374
373 REPLIES 373

Anonymous
Not applicable
I did this. ...

www.telefonica.com enter

Where are we? Select Country click on drop down and selected United Kingdom

"This page may be temporarily offline due to maintenance" Please try our homepage
Message 101 of 374

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Message 102 of 374

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

So...picture evidence ...thanks for that @jonsie  Just confirms what others are saying...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 104 of 374

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I'm guessing there will be panic stations at o2 and a nonsensical statement issued, designed to make us feel that it is ourselves who need to update our own security.

Message 105 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks @jonsie and @viridis for checking this out to confirm what I had stated.
Message 106 of 374

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I'm guessing there will be panic stations at o2 and a nonsensical statement issued, designed to make us feel that it is ourselves who need to update our own security.

I hope not. They tried that last time if I remember? Thing is there are many computer savvy people on this forum (not me) who could kick that sort of statement out of the ballpark....Rolleys

With that in mind I know who I would believe

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 107 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable
Whatever comes out of o2 will be very much stage managed. Their Head of IT will be at work today I am sure.

IF o2 were found to have been breached you could write the script. ..... something along the lines of "o2 are aware of reports regarding a breach of systems resulting in some customer information being stolen. O2 are investigating the breach and are working with the ICO. We advise all customers as a security precaution to change their passwords to xxxxxx services" or words to that effect
Message 108 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

We had applied for the SIMs online. I have all the e-mails from the account linking fiasco, which is how I can date this data from Nov 2009 (the phishing e-mail had same wrong info - bits of my data and bits of partners).

Message 109 of 374

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just received the same email.

I know that there has been an issue with VAT as I've claimed it back from EE, however this email relates to Oct 13 - Oct 14 and I wasn't with o2 at that time.

Very concerned as to the level of information on the email. I've run two lots of in depth security scans on my PC and it's fine, nothing suspicious at all.

I've only been with o2 for 2 months and have already been overcharged the first month so if this is there security breach and haven't let customers know I will be even less impressed than I am now.

Message 110 of 374